Feeling useless as a babysitter

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JennsPeeps, Feb 8, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    DBF's best friend is a general contractor. He's over at our house today, working with DBF to replace our water heater with a tankless and relocate our boiler (long story summarized: we haven't had central heat for about 5 weeks due to problems with our boiler).

B/C DBF's friend watches his 7 month old daughter on weekends while his wife works, today I'm taking care of their little girl. thank goodness for their 10 year old son! I feel so useless!!

I'm in my 30s, used to babysit all the time, and want a child of my own. But their daughter is in that "stranger anxiety" stage. Her brother looks at her and she's fine. I look at her and she freaks. It's hard and frustrating.

Speaking of frustrating, think I'll go see if she wants to eat something. [​IMG]

2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I have had to watch some kids like that.. I just hang in there till they go home..

My kids are not like that at all.... very hard to deal with..

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Stranger danger! That's a tough age to watch a baby that doesn't really know you too well... [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My youngest son was like that for a very long time. He was just generally an unhappy baby/toddler though, not just for strangers. He usually wouldn't even be happy if my husband or my mom was holding him, it had to be me. We found out when he was four that there were medical problems behind his issues, that made it much easier to deal with.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    all my kids needed to see is a combat uniform and they were happy. But its a tough age espec. if they are on the shy side to begin with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by