1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeling very sad and guilty

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by avroncotton, Dec 2, 2007.

1. avroncotton

avroncotton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Victoria Australia
    Lost one of my two week old chicks today. The mum was seperated from the rest of the hens with her two babies in the main shed. Went to see them at this morning and they were fine then went back at ten oclock and one was missing,[​IMG] looked all over. Found the poor little thing floating in a half full watering can. I use the water to keep the worm farm moist. I cant see how it got up so far; the top of the can must be ten times its height!

I have despatched roosters before but this has made me feel really sad and guilty. I have removed the can now.

Tony:(

2. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    That's too bad. Sorry for your loss. Try not to feel bad, it was an accident that no one could have predicted. Take care.

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I am so sorry [​IMG] I totally understand that sick to your stomach I'd do anything to go back in time to undo it feeling. I'll be praying for peace for you and that your sadness will lessen soon. Suz

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's tough, Avron. Sometimes it seems that no matter how careful we are these little fuzz balls find some way to get hurt. I'm sorry, but try not to blame yourself. You didn't do it on purpose - it's just one of those oversights that we all do from time to time.

Feel better, [​IMG]

Lori

5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]:hugs

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

:aww Tony. Dont beat yourself up. These things happen. Im so sorry for your loss.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Im sorry about the little one. Dont be too hard on yourself-they can get themselves into the most unexpected predicatments sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by