feelings and sick chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickbird, Jun 29, 2010.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    i know from the postings that everyone seems to love their chickens, just wanted to know how much it bothers you when you have a sick chick and you just can't seem to get it better... i have always loved animals and it is extremely sad to me when this happens and i think that perhaps i should not have gotten them...i never knew chicikens could have so many diseases..... i love it when they are free ranging and just so happy...when they are all o.k., they are such a pleasure to have. for me. i think the most frustrating thing is not knowing for certain what is wrong with them when they get sick....can usually make an educated guess, but there is still that nagging desire to know more.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, yes! It really bothers me when something is wrong with any one of my chickens. I'm even worried when it's too hot for them and they're miserable in the heat. I want to make it better.

When I first got chicks and had a couple of them die, it was SO sad. I mean, they were "just chicks" that cost about $2.25 apiece and I'd only had them a few days.... but it really bothered me.

I try to stay out of this section of BYC because I get worried I might be missing something that someone else would see in my flock. Like I'm not doing enough for them, that I didn't notice or even think of something I read on this forum.

I've been pretty lucky so far, only lost 2 chicks months ago.... but then my elderly dachshund has killed 4 of my chickens, so I feel like crud about THAT. He came first, before the chickens, and I should have been more vigilant.

3. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Taking responsibility for an animals life is never a comfortable thing. When I raise them it is my responsibility to ensure that they do not suffer. If I can't eleviate their discomfort then I see it as my responsibility to end it.

It's not the pretty side of keeping a flock, but it is sometimes necessary. If I had my way, they would all be perfectly healthy happy birds, but sometimes it just doesn't go that way.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

What we all need to remember here is that we are all different and that our priorities are probably different. We are all on this forum so that we can do the best we can for our birds... with information and encouragement.

Here is what I always told my kids... listen to all advice given to you, think about it, then keep what makes sense to you and discard the rest... only YOU know what is best for you...

and don't second guess yourself... what's done is done... just be smart enough to learn from it.

OK... enough preachin' for today. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by