Feels like a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shogun99, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Ok I have the baby chicks, chicken feeders, waterers, lamp, feed, grit etc and the chix seem to be doing fine. I have a question though. What purpose does scratch really serve (with the corn etc). Do they eat it or do they just kick it around? I'm going to be moving my chicks to an outside brooder soon where there will be ample small pebbles, grass, dirt, etc. Plus, the floor of their coop where they will eventually be is chicken wire so the poop will fall through to the ground below (ez clean up and fertilizer pickup). The main question is...do I need scratch? Will it be useful? What do I need for my chicks other than feed, grit and water when they're outside for them to be healthy & happy?

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Scratch is just chicken candy. Not neccesary. Shouldn't be given very often.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I just used sparingly and no it's not needed. In fact I tried throwing mine some scratch and they didn't want anything to do with it. LOL maybe when they are more henish...right now they are only 13 weeks old.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Asher...I love your new picture [​IMG]

5. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Thank you [​IMG]

6. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    Scratch is a great treat. Every morning when hubby puts the girls in their pen he throws in a couple handfuls of scratch. They wait for it and I suspect would peck him to death if he forgot. It helps give them something to do and they do eat very drop. It is not necessary to live, but they sure enjoy it.
    Gram

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by