1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feels like My Birthday!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tommysgirl, Mar 4, 2013.

1. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    I just took delivery of a Little Giant 5200 Still Air Incubator!!! I am borrowing it from a friend who has had good luck with it. I have or am about to order mixed lots of hatching eggs from two different BYCers and I am busy counting my chickens before they hatch.

The directions say it can take up to 70 eggs I assume that is in a turner which I don't have...How many have any of you put in this model without a turner?

Because I am using shipped eggs I thought I might use egg cartons and a book moved from end to end to turn but I want to know if it matters...and please forgive me if this is not making sense...if the book is placed perpendicular to the eggs or parallel to them?

Some of my eggs are coming from my own hens I didn't know if I should put those eggs in a carton or not.

I am really excited about all of the potential...then when they hatch I will be excited about them...I am totally atwitter! :)

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Awesome!! Good Luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The angle through which the eggs are turned is important. Hatch of fertiles was significantly better in eggs turned over an angle of 45˚ either side of the short axis of the egg, as compared to turning of 30˚ and 15˚. Hatched chicks from eggs turned 45˚ weighed more and had less dry matter in the residual yolk. (Cutchin et al, 2007)

[​IMG]

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I believe that is 70 eggs without the turner. Most turners hold 42 eggs.

4. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks you. see why I need help! :)

A Thiicker book then...What about using a stack of Index cards rubberbanded together? I could adjust it to the proper height and it would take up less room?

OK wait...Is the book directly under the eggs IN THE INCUBATOR or is it on one end of the bator and then switched to the other?

I appreciate your feedback so much...don't want to mess this up!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] You will do fine, your doing your homework! Good for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by