Feet and bill color?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by crj, Aug 9, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have 2 sebbies that are just wonderful. They spend there day eating grass and whatever else the like while free ranging. They also have access to flockraiser all day. They are 4 months old. I've noticed that there feet aren't that orangy color and there bills see ok. What determines the color? Are they deficient in something? or do they look fine? I asked this because my ducks have nice color and comparing the geese they just look a bit pale.

Here is the color of one gooses bill.
    [​IMG]

I don't know if you can see there feet in this picture. I don't have anything else at the moment.
    [​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are beautiful and is that your chicken coop in the back ground? it is so pretty.

4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Thank you and yes, that is my chicken coop in the back ground. I have to redo the front since it has rotted. It's just been way to hot to do anything this summer.

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Oh my! Glad mine are on track. The woman who gave me the geese had mentioned how pale they looked compared to hers. That's why I thought maybe something wasn't right. I'm glad all is ok. Whooosh, worried there for a minute.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thank you and yes, that is my chicken coop in the back ground. I have to redo the front since it has rotted. It's just been way to hot to do anything this summer.

It's so pretty please post back with more pics of your coop and your geese when its cooler. I am ready for fall[ I can't believe I said that, seems I was just saying I'm ready for some warm weather] wow.

7. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    It's been crazy hot this summer. It's been in 100 or better just about every day with the humidity up to 79%. I don't mind the heat normally but with this humidity and no rain I have to admit I'm over it. We either have a super hot summer or a super cold winter these days. I wish we could have longer springs and falls instead.

I do have a picture of the chicken coop when it looked better....... lol. I have to take down the wall and replace it. Before I go it it belonged to a person who used it for 2 pot belly pigs. My uncle bought the womans house and gave my the coop... Origionally it's made for a kids play house. I plan on making one like it one of these days. Looking at it from the inside it doesn't look very hard. I plan on making a goose coop but that is on hold due to health issues.

I just got 2 geese yesterday that are 1 1/2 months old. One is a Buff and the other a Super Dewlap. The Buff has the same color feet and bill as the Sebbies so I'm glad about that. The Super Dewlap has a black bill and his feet are a dark color, well, black toe nails... lol. so I guess he looks normal. I feel they are a bit under weight but then again they are young. I'm hoping all my ducks and geese will get a long with each other. Right now they are all afraid of one another. Now I know why there is a saying "silly goose or silly geese."...... lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The little one is the nursery and the tall one is the brooder house. They are both occupied right now. I am in the process of making a flowerbox for the tall one.

[​IMG]
    A few changes were made when I got it home since the doors were rotting. Now the front has to be taken off and replaced. I'm hoping it won't be very hard.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I love your new goslings, do you know what sex? where do they sleep at night? and your houses are adorable.
    What have you got setting? i had 9 broodys this spring, thank goodness that is over. It got a little hectic with all those mamas and chicks running around. I sure do enjoy watching them mamas and their chicks though, still have one game hen taking care of her 2 chicks and the chicks are almost 8 weeks old. It was extremely hoy here for this part of N.C. even though we never got above 90 the humidity was awful. I am so looking forward to fall weather, although today is wonderful low 80's [​IMG]

9. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Miss Lydia I only know the Buff is a female but I don't know the Super Dewlap. The guy who bought him as a chick said it was a straight run pick. The Buff female did have a mate but he died (human error). I see you are on the other side of the state. I am in southeastern part of NC. My ducks and geese are all housed together during the night. During the day they free range. These are there digs.

[​IMG]

Well, it's changed a bit since I took this picture a couple of years ago. I took the pool out and put in a little round pool and I enclosed the top. I will have to take another picture. The goslings have a large plastic dog crate that they can go in at night. I noticed that ducks don't like enclosures so the Sebbies can go into the coop if they want. The pen next to them are my French Black copper marans. They all seem to get along just fine. Like they say, fences make good neighbors....... haha.

Not a good year for hatching but lots of broodies. I have 3 broodies that are doing a terrible job. Eggs have broken and they did nothing about it. The smell was horrible. I eventually had to take the eggs from them because they got so dirty. The hens would take a dust bath and stink as well. I keep cleaning the boxes and eggs but the stinky hens are determined to sit. Nothing has hatched with them. I have a tiny English bantam hen sitting on a RIR's eggs. Figure that one out. They take turns. Nothing yet. I have a FBCM sitting and now she is more interested in a rooster then the eggs. Hussy. One problem is that I do have chicks that hatched in the little nursery next to her. She hears them and I think that is the problem. Oh, and my FBCM's have turned into egg eaters. I'm trying to figure out how to stop that. So, collecting eggs to sell has not been good nor a good hatch year for me. The heat is most of the problem because the ones sitting actually cooked a few eggs. I kid you not.

Today was cooler because we did get a breeze. I'm hoping for the cold air to sink down this week and really give us some nice weather. We could use some rain as well. We are at least 12 inches below our water table.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:That is nice digs and nice pool too. I just saw some one post on the hatching eggs section about eggs being cooked under broody. None of my broodys sat on their own eggs. lol most bantams since i don't have a rooster large enough to make fertile eggs with mny LF. Sounds like you stay busy too, I love it taking care of all my animals, would love to have more, but living in the mtns. we don't have alot of flat ground so our space is limited in though we have 5 acres. But would love to see your goslings as they grow. My gander is 4 years old now and I guess he's the only one I'll have till some of my older ducks go on. coops are maxed out too. I like your setup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by