feet are swollen...pictures updated

eggsited chickens

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
SW Michigan
I have a rhode Island red that has been eating and drinking...not sure how much though, but most of the day sits on a roost, sleeping. She also ruffles her feathers all up, making it look likes she's a bit cold. She doesn't run away when I go to her and seems very calm when I hold her. She looks fine too. Her poo was green, when I saw her poop. I noticed this last Saturday already, and Sunday I found an extra large egg in the run, thinking it was hers, but now I'm not too sure. Any suggestions what the matter might be? We have 30 chickens, so it's hard to keep track how much she is eating, pooping, and if she's laying an egg. I seperated her this morning, but she wants to go back into the pen with the rest of the chickens. I feel so sorry for her...

Her crop looks fine, and I don't know where to feel for an egg, but when/where I did feel, I don't feel anything...

Last edited:
Green poo usually means she's not processing her food. I'd check her crop, make sure it's not impacted or sour.
Try massaging it & feed her some bread dipped in olive oil, some plain yogurt w/ cultures wouldn't hurt either.
Ruffled feathers & lethargy means there is definitely a problem. Keeping her separate & watching her is a good idea even though she doesn't like it.

It also looks like she has swollen feet. I didn't see any sores, and when she eats she is always trying to stand on one foot. she hobbles around too, not fast either.

Get some Electrolytes for her water....and keep her seperate and warm.
while seperated you can check her food & water intake, laying or not and her poo.

I think bumblefoot is usually an infection on the underside of the foot, caused by a cut or abrasion becoming infected. It's possible to get in both feet at the same time but not typical I don't think.

Here's a thread that might help you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31010&p=1

and this one:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=266915

Could it be gout? The swelling and the lack of urates in the poo make me wonder. But I'm just a chicken beginner, so hopefully other more experienced folks will chime in here.

How old is she?

What do the bottoms of her feet look like? Can you post a picture of the bottoms?

What has she been eating? Does she get grit?

Her feet do look very painful - I would be sure to bring food and water to her or put her in a kennel inside the coop with her own food water.

Back
Top Bottom