Feet deformity, no pain

TwinChickens

Chirping
Feb 10, 2018
Western Australia
My old RIR has had a deformity in her feet since we got her from a friend. She is still the biggest and strongest hen, so it seems it doesn't give her any pain or weakness. I have attached photos, but they're not very good because she is so aggressive I can only get near her at night. I was wondering if anyone knew what may have caused it or if it is a birth defect and whether she is in pain, cheers xx
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

azygous

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Deformed feet can be from a very early injury or genetic defect when the chicken was just a few days old going unnoticed and untreated.

Given the age of this bird, it can also be from an unbalanced diet resulting in kidney disease which causes urate crystals to accumulate in the tissues of the feet. (Avian gout) There is no treatment.

Swollen feet can also be caused by bumblefoot, a staph infection from injuries to the bottoms of the feet. If this is the cause, you will see black scabs. This should be treated.

You can tell if the feet are causing pain if you see her occasionally peck at her feet or hold one up against her belly, then alternate to the other foot being held up. If you see that, you can help alleviate some of the pain by giving a baby aspirin twice a day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom