Feet pecking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Youngfamily1989, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Youngfamily1989

Youngfamily1989 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2007
    Tennessee City
    Some of my chicks have started to peck others feet. I heard a camotion in the brooder and one chick was dragging the other around with his foot in his mouth. So I watched a while and noticed alot of feet pecking. So I decided to change their bedding to pine chips so they would have somthing to peck at. Its working so far but its still new to them I will wait and see after the new wears off. I dont think I had this problem before. Does it usually go away?

Brian

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    That's strange. i have never experienced that problem. Hopefully someone else will come along who has experience with this.

3. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I have had that problem from time to time when chicks are little. Do they have food all the time? Are they too crowded?

You may have to give them something to entertain themselves.
    The shavings are a good idea. Maybe you could give them some grass to peck at. You will nned to give them grit if you give anything other than their starter.

Jean

4. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Sometimes they can peck if they are too hot or too crowded. A red light rather than a white light can sometimes help to reduce pecking, but some breeds seem more prone to it than others. It's most likely that they just need more room. They grow so fast!

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    How old are they and how many do you have in the brooder? If they are pecking each others feet and dragging one another around I'm guessing they are more than a week or two old and are bored and overcrowded. If so, why not move them to a hutch with a heat lamp if it is cold where you are now? I moved my last batch of baby chicks to their hutch at two days old because it was summer and hot day and night, I did not use a lamp. I covered the wire floor with hay and they had a ball running around all day. I had moved the first batch to the hutch at two weeks because it was still cold here, the second batch at one week. The ones that were moved out when it was still cold got a heat lamp at night and they would stay up all night long chasing and catching bugs that would fly to the light. It was hilarius to watch. Then they would sleep most of the day in the sunshine because they were tired from playing chase all night. I also let all of the babies out of the hutch to run around the run while I'm out there during the day - they love to scratch and dig. My way of looking at it is that the mama hen would have them running around the farm yard at day one. I try to raise them as close to natural as possible.

6. WeLoveTheChicks

WeLoveTheChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Sheldahl, Iowa
    Today just as we were leaving for our 2nd Christmas with my inlaws, I went to check the chickens and found bloody chickens. One of the girls' feet is pecked and her counterpart (Brahma) has a bloody beak. We separated the injured one by putting it in a dog carrier in the garage, cleaned it's feet in the bathtub and gave it fresh food bedding and a water bottle (hamster style). Will she figure out how to drink? What can be done about the injuries? We had to leave her for the afternoon/evening.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

How old are your birds? It is possible for them to learn how to drink out of a hamster bottle but some are faster than others to catch on. For now she should be ok in the crate.

I suggest posting under a new thread so you can get more views on your problem.

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You want to be careful about them pecking at the pine -- it can cause problems if they eat it. I think the result can be an impacted crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by