feet pecking

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenchick55, Apr 1, 2015.

1. chickenchick55

chickenchick55 New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    I need so much help. I have five chickens they are free range spoiled rotten. I have 2 that keep getting their feet pecked by the other 3. They peck at them until they bleed and make holes in their feet. I keep them apart until they are completely healed. But as soon as I let them run with the others they attack the feet agian and it starts all over. Is there something I can put on their feet to keep them from doing it. Or what should I do I'm worried.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I had this exact problem. I tried every no pic lotion and even tried pine tar. They actually LIKED the pine tar. LOL I even wrapped their feet for a few weeks and it did nothing for them. But what seemed to work was Blu-kote. Spray Blu-kote all over there toes, feet and legs. Keep their feet and legs looking purple at all times. You may need to reapply every couple days or so. It seems that when the scales look all peely and white, they pick at them. I had to spray my birds feet and legs for about one year as this becomes a bad habit that is hard to break. Finally I no longer have to do it.

So give this a try and see if it works. Keep us posted too! I am curious if it works for you or not. :)

Welcome to our flock!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! You got some good advise from twocrows. Hope your pecking problems go away soon.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you should get pinless peepers for the naughty birds- it should throw them off their game.

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by