Feet picture...mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RockyToggRanch, Mar 29, 2009.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    [​IMG]

I noticed a strange look of my sumatra roos feet this morning. Is this mites or do roos have ugly legs?

I also have a sumatra hen who is feather picking the 2 roos around their necks. Could this also be a sign of mites?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Can you get a better picture of his legs? Do they look overly scaley? If so it is probably scaley mites. You can put petroleum jelly on his legs in a thick coat and it will suffocate them.

Lift their feathers back and shine a light on their skin. if there are mites you should little specks moving about. Feather picking is usually caused by lack of protein in diet if they are eating them or mites.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  3. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    For some reason my pix always appear small. Try double clicking on the picture to enlarge.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It is still hard to see if it scaley mites. do the scales lift up easily? Does the skin look really dry and flakey?

5. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I didn't try to lift them. It doesn't look dry, but then again he's hopping around the paddock in the rain. I think he's almost 2 yrs old. Maybe it's just normal? He's my first, so I don't have anything to compare at his age.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    use the link at the top of the page for seaching and search for keywords

Leg Mites or Scaley Mites Scaley legs...there are pictures here somewhere of what they look like.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  7. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Is he by chance hobbling/hopping-- or walking normally?

I ask because his right ankle seems awfully swollen-- his left one a little also-- as if he has sprained or broken it.....

8. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    He was hopping over puddles when I was watching him. He was moving around. How can I tell if they are sprained or worse [​IMG]

They looked weird to me, that's why I took pix. He is my least likely to volunteer to be held. Should I grab him up tonight and examine him? If so, what am I looking for?

9. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I did recently sell off the big brahma roo that challenged him for his position (and won). They were fighting. Could he really be injured? How do roos sprain or break ankles????

10. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Quote:I have recently found that yes feather pecking can be caused by mites. I always just thought it was a lack of protein, but have found that it is not always a lack of protein. They seem to know when another chicken has mites, and they will peck at the feathers to get at the mites. Chickens often times will do this to themselves as well, when they have mites. I sympathetically took in a couple of banty chickens who I was told were just pecked on by their chickens, and come to find out, these chickens were also pulling their own feathers out, trying to get to the mites. Now my whole flock is affected, and we are in the "battle of the mites" right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by