Feet Problem... What IS this?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SterlingAcres, Dec 3, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

It's scaley, flakey, dry and bumpy. How do I fix it?! These birds are in quarantine btw. Thanks in advance!

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Probably is scaly leg mites. Put bag balm or vaseline on their legs for 1-2 wks and that should do the trick. [​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    How often and how much?

Please and thank you!

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    You should coat her whole leg - it doesn't have to be too thick, but the idea is to suffocate the mites, so an even coating.

Once a day until better.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i have never seen leg mites before.....can you actually see them on the feet?...crawling around...or is the scales just residue from them?...

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just lifted scales.

Could be mites, could be just very dry, but I'd lean towards mites.

7. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Scaly leg mite bore under the scales of the chickens leg, lifting the scale and will cause the fowl physical trouble as time goes by. You can smother and kill leg mites with a myriad of creams, grease and meds. Some are: Scarlet oil, Corona smear (for horses), Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, WD-40,Bearing Grease, bacon Grease and VetRX. The idea is to SMOTHER the leg mites and medicate the chickens leg at the same time. It's best to use at least vasaline petroleum jelly (the kind you buy at any store) on ANY of your fowl occaisionally. This will prevent leg mites.

8. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Thank you! I will coat them with vicks and vaseline as instructed. Hopefully, they're better soon [​IMG]

redhen - I don't see any mites, just very rough nasty skin. Looks like it should be itchy. I wouldn't want my legs to look like that!

9. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I did not see "vicks" on the reccommended list?...

10. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have used olive oil and also VetRX

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by