Feist and Ratting dogs or Earth dogs ~ Info please!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TACEYPERKINS, Sep 6, 2011.

1. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    So how exactly do you plan on stopping your new dog from digging up your yard in an attempt to get to the ground squirrels? You will probably be better off with a ferret.

2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:good point! I think I'd rather have the damage a ground squirrel can do over the excavations that a good working terrier can do. I never thought about a ferret. Really, not a bad idea at all!

3. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Well, unfortunatly, ferrets are illegal here. So even if I wanted to get one, I can't!
    I do also know some ratting/ terrier dogs don't dig as much as others.
    I don't mind some holes, but the bigger problem we are having is they are digging up under our concrete slab and eventually it will crack. So that is why I was wondering if the dogs hunting behavior was to dig up their prey or to lay in wait like a cat.
    All types of dogs are bred to do different things, instictually, because they were bred to do it that way. I am looking for the right breed for this job!

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Crowing

Mar 29, 2011
    I haven't read the entire thread but weren't dashchunds bred for hunting badgers? I know that the OP is looking for a dog that will hunt a ground squirrel, but they both live in the ground (badgers and ground squirrels). [​IMG]

5. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Believe me ferrets were my first idea. Because you could train them and handle them fairly easy. But along with them being illegal in Ca. the domestic ferret is not that well equipped to do the job. Yes it could kill the squirrel, but I have read many posts that say the domesticated ferret is weak when itcomes to his immunity. Many have died with small bites from rats and mice. I would think that a ground squirrel would carry some bad diseases too.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:I so totally understand about the ground squirrel problem. They will also steal eggs plus chicks - not to mention the amount of feed they eat/steal and bury.

I also am thinking about a Rat, Jack or Decker terrier. I want a working line and prefer pup so I can get them aclimated to the chickens. I will be keeping an eye on your thread.

I DO have a border collie, cane corso and antatolian who all actively hunt squirrels, rabbits, mice, rats, pack rats, moles and other vermin - but leave the chickens alone. Our BC love to catch ground squirrels! But I would like a smaller dog, who can come and go from the coop to get the dang mice also (no, sadly my chickens do not seem to be interested in hunting mice [​IMG] )

I have found here - the high desert - that the digging for the vermin is no problem. Mother nature fills the holes back in rather quickly.

7. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    I have thought about dashchunds, I will do more reserch on them. I do know they use them in earth dog trials and that they chase tree squirrels. Thank you!

8. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    HorseFeatherz NV yes they are such a complete nuscense! I too have problems with them steeling eggs- alot of them! And chicken feed too. It is ridiculous how much they disrupt the natural eb and flow. Another major problem we have is the fleas and mites that they harbor. And then give to the chickens. I have a huge flea infestation going on right now. The bad areas are always centered around the burrow hole. Can't seem to get a handle on them this year.
    I will look into a decker terrier, never heard of them. Thanks again, I hope we are able to find a dog that can help.

9. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Maybe a good barn cat would suit your needs. They have the patience & waiting skills you want & don't dig holes. They also kill for sport so they should take out your entire rodent population easily. Get an adult that is known to be a good hunter from a shelter.
    ETA: Have you tried live traps for the squirrels? You can probably do a much better pest control job than any pet & you wont have to worry about rehoming a pet that turns out to not hunt your vermin.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  10. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    We do have wild cats out there, they do really well with the mice. But they don't do anything for the ground squirrels. Maybe they are too big for them or maybe too many mice keeps them busy.
    I have tried traps, it seems like they know what it's for. So it just goes untouched for days.
    I appreciate the help and suggestions.
    I did however look up the Decker terrier, I have a couple breeders real close to me. I have emailed one, I will keep you posted as to what they suggest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: