Feisty baby rooster moving in with 6 month pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Runawaylobster, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Runawaylobster

Runawaylobster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Redland/Homestead Fl
    I just got some "chicks" by mail. Some are quite big (hardly a chick actually), and the biggest is a rooster. I don't know how old he is but he was trying to crow this morning. I'm guessing weight wise maybe 3lb. He arrived with some much smaller chicks and a medium sized pullet so I am feeling the need to get him out of their company due to size differences. I won't have their new coop ready for a couple of weeks and they are still in the large brooding pen.

This rooster is a feisty fellow and stands his ground when I reach in to feed and water them, he is a marans. I don't think he will be a good breeding rooster in terms of form, but I guess we will see as he grows up.

I am wondering what would happen to him if I put him into my main coop with the 6 month olds. There are 14 of them. They are much bigger than he is since they are for the most part Brahmas and Partridge Cochins, but they are girls?

He doesn't seem to bother the babies but I think he probably should be removed from them.

interested in advice on this scenario.

Lesley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by