Feisty Banty Pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sweetshoplady, Jun 18, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    OK, on a whim I got these banty chickens. They're cute. One of them every time I reach my hand in, to get their food dish, to get one out, to put food in, this little pullet pecks at my hand and bites me. She really puffs up and gets as big as possible. She's (I think) an EE. THe others just run to the corners.

The others aren't exactly what I would call friendly, but I know that they weren't socialized.

I am not sure what to do. I've tried carrying her around and petting her. Are banties that different from big chickens? How much smaller are they?

I have heard that 3 banty eggs equal 2 regular eggs.

Would they do better if they were in a chicken tractor

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I don't think tractor vs. coop is the issue at all. I don't have bantams yet, but I do hear they can be fiesty. However there is always one in the bunch that is assertive. How old are they? We have a Deleware like that. She drew blood going after my daughters freckle on her hand as a pullet. She's a bit better now, unless she sees me with a bag of treats, she jumps up and tries to get it out of my hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by