1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feisty little hen flogs rooster!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azygous, Jan 11, 2011.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Well, now I've seen it all! Little Alice, my three-year old SLW hen flogged my eight-month old Black Cochin cockerel Darrel!

This afternoon, as I was changing out the frozen water jugs, Alice managed to slip inside Darrel's pen. He made a ritual courting gesture, offering her some food, which she immediately took advantage of, but wow! When he made a move on her, she whirled around and came at him just like a rooster attacking! She was feet in the air, claws open, and wings flapping in full flogging mode! I've never seen a hen reject a rooster so violently! It surprised the hell out of Darrel, and me, too! Alice quickly decided she didn't want to be in Darrel's pen afterall and left.

Thinking back to a week ago, I had to doctor Alice for a bleeding, torn comb after I saw Darrel chasing her. He had slipped by me and got out of his pen, and had a fun but brief romp with the girls before I chased him back into captivity. It crossed my mind at the time that Darrel may have caught her and gave her a rough time. Maybe Alice was just indulging in some pay-back!

Talk about a woman scorned!

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    good for Alice

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    you go alice

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    She was just waiting for revenge!

GO ALICE!!

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    You go Alice

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It is very common for mature hens to reject the advances of the "kids." They tend to hold out for the mature roosters- those that have proven worthy of passing on their genes.

7. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Quote:Sourland;
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, so: GO ALICE!!!
    Does this mean my 5mo cockerel will have a chance with the Big Girls once he's fully grown?
    Right now they not only ignore him, but if he gets too chummy they chase his butt around the coop.
    Poor guy is getting an inferiority complex [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, once he gets his "big man" groove on they will be begging for some action.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by