Feline Obesity *Pics added*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mandelyn, Dec 2, 2011.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    We rescued a cat from the pound yesterday after seeing one in the Petsmart jail we liked but knew was already saved. So we went to the pound itself, and brought home "Bubba-Chunk"... the fattest orange tabby I've ever met. He's a cool dude but needs a diet barring any health concerns. He goes to the vet Monday for a check up... I think he picked up a respiratory infection while incarcerated and he still needs a rabies.

I'm partial to "pretty" cats... unique markings, or a mainecoon sort of look, Siamese... blue eyes. But we are now the proud owners of an obese, nondescript orange tabby cat. He's 5 years old and LOVES belly rubs. Not a biter either even though he's front declawed. He cuddled on the couch with me all last night instead of hiding like I expected. He sauntered past the dogs, daring them to make a move. He's not afraid of them, just wary at this point. The dogs have been great... I haven't worked with them in awhile but "stay" was working push button as they watched this stranger mosey around the house. We set him up in his own room with a baby gate his fat butt can get under, with a hidey-hole for when he wants to hide.

Anyways, we need a plan. Vet is going to tell me about Science Diet weight management and I don't care for it. No free choice feeding... after reading through some info that is the leading cause to feline obesity. Plus a set meal time will let you know immediately when they go off their food. I do have some concerns about his health with how fat he is. He acts normal now though.

I also read about cats not being able to process carbs the way dogs and humans can, being strictly carnivore. So can I swap him onto a raw diet or do you think that is too sudden of a change? I would need to transition to that using the dry food, right?

Some reading I did said he can't lose more than 1/2 a pound in 4 weeks, because of a condition they can get from rapid weight loss.

Any of you successfully bring a fat cat down to a normal weight? I think we'll need a thyroid test to be sure that isn't the cause.

Will get photos when he voluntarily comes out, the dogs crashing down the steps this am sent him into hiding. He needs to get used to the noises here. I don't know how long he was in jail for.

He's such a sweetie. Not much of a talker. I'm really pleased I can rub his belly as much as I like without him biting me once he starts to enjoy it. He's an excellent foot warmer... he covers a lot of surface area on the couch.

He finally came out, here he is in all his glory. [​IMG] See what I mean about a diet? He won't even play, just rolls on his back for a belly rub after 2 swats at a toy.

[​IMG]

Rub my fat belly?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I have a fat cat and her name is Bubba too! I have tried everything with that darn cat and have 2 more cats with her that are perfect weight. Can¬ít figure it out. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Awww...that's so nice that you took the fat, plain kitty instead of a pretty one. And that's great that he isn't afraid of your dogs [​IMG] I know nothing of cat diets, because it's never been an issue for any of ours, so no advice. We have a "cat escape room" too, where we feed them and keep the litter box. Our baby gate is used to keep the dogs out of the litter - and out of the food. I used one of the cheap baby gates, and cut a 6 inch hole in the plastic mesh for our cats to go through. Good luck with chubby Bubby - hope he gets a clean bill of health!

4. mandelyn

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    They gave him a once over at the pound... the county got a brand new building this year and a new vet. But I doubt they ran a blood panel on him or anything. I figured his odds weren't that great at being adopted... there were some very pretty and very friendly kitties there. One was a white and tabby striped Mainecoon looking guy, complete with ear tufts and a coy look on his face.

It was the belly rub invite that suckered me in, he did it to husband first as soon as we entered and then me. We'd let him be fat if it wasn't bad for his health... not too keen on having a diabetic cat or anything. Thyroid pills are cheap, so if he has that we'll treat him.

He has a long way to go before he looks like Puss-In-Boots. Wasn't it the 4th Shrek movie that depicted an alternate reality where Puss-In-Boots was a very fat kitty? That's Bubba-Chunk.

I set his breakfast out, he nibbled and left. Do I leave it with how little he ate... or take it to train in the meal schedule?

5. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I wanna see pictures of the fat kitty.

6. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    don't bother with the thyroid check, cats almost NEVER have hypothyroidism. They often have hypERthyroid, but that would make him skinny. You might ask about checking to see if he is diabetic or prediabetic though. Good for you for wanting to trim him down, so many people think it's "cute" to have a fat cat.
    Dont let him skip meals, obese cats are the ones most at risk for hepatic lipidosis - fatty liver disease, which can manifest after 24 hrs without food.
    I'd get him on raw, its an easily controlled diet, no carbs to keep him porky and cats are obligate carnivores, so anything besides meat in hsi food just goes in his litterbox anyway.
    www.rawfedcat.com or www.rawfed.com has good info

7. mandelyn

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Thanks, I hadn't seen those sites yet. He's being shy today... the scary ceiling fan spooked him. Guess he's never seen one before, but that's the only thing he could have seen when he looked up, paused, and ran. [​IMG]

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:X2!
    I lost a cat to this years ago - horrible!

9. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    My grandma's cat was extreamly over weight, and the vet said to feed her senior cat food, as it has less fat and other stuff in it, and only at set meal times, i think she got fed 2 or 3 times a day and only a cupful of food

10. abbyful

abbyful New Egg

Nov 28, 2011
    Quote:I second this suggestion!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by