Feline Urinary Tract Infection ****PICTURE OF SMOKEY ADDED ****

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
I think my daddy cat, Smokey has a urinary tract infection. Me and DH were sitting outside and saw Smokey try to pee 3 times in 5 minutes but nothing was coming out. Have any of y'all dealt with this before? I know I need to take him to the vet but it's so expensive.

Another thing, and this is kinda gross. His male member was sticking out a bit and looked swollen. He's fixed too.

Last edited:
Assuming he only has a UTI then you'll probably only be charged for a urinalysis and antibiotics. The fact that his penis was out and seemed swollen could indicate something more serious. Not to scare you but we have had two cats die from bladder blockages in the past 2 months. They can get sick very quickly from it. I'd definitely get him to the doctor tomorrow, if not this evening.

Here is a little info about it, sometimes people refer to their cat as having "the fus".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_lower_urinary_tract_disease

Last edited:
Southern, if he can't pee, toxins are building up in his system, I think maybe you should take him to the vet. And that could be the problem with his "male member". Keep us posted

Well, now I'm scared. I just spent $600 about a month ago to have my momma cat's eye removed after she developed an ulcer on it.
he.gif

Ok gonna go out on a limb here and ask you if you think you could get him to drink an alka seltzer? I have heard that if a person were to feel an infection coming on to drink an alka seltzer, not sure about a cat drinking it. Maybe someone else could chime in???

DO NOT give him an alka seltzer.
It can kill a cat.
Its true that it will work on humans, but cats can't handle it. no aspirin either.

I lost a cat with these sympthoms, found out later that his bladder was blocked due to the ash content of his food. You'd be suprised at the amount of ash some companies will use as filler, ask your vet about it when you take him in.

Thx, Rooster I sure didn't know that about the alka seltzer. Or about the ash for filler in the cat food. Geez, I can't imagine putting ash in, yuck

I learned this a little over 20 years ago
old.gif

My poor cat suffered and died because I didn't know.
I've educated myself quite a bit since then, I've had cats a whole lot longer than I have chickens.

There are some human meds you can use on cats, like pepto bismal and kaopectate for diarrhea.

Back
Top Bottom