Fellow Christians ... what would you suggest?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Ol'FashionHen, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Could you suggest a good book, daily devotion etc., for a lady that has terminal cancer and is going through aggressive treatments at the moment.
    A little backround to the question for you:
    There is a lady that lives near our church that was diagnosed with terminal cancer, she has already been through some treatments over the summer and her body did not respond. She is currently going through more aggressive treatments over the next 6-8 weeks, 5 days on and 2 days off. She is 33 years old and she and her husband have 5 young children. The ladies at our church will be bringing her and her family supper this week, I would like to bring her a devotional, or good book that may be a blessing to her. I know some of you on here have been through treatments yourself, is there anything that was a blessing to you, that you would suggest for someone else going through the same thing. She is hopeful, and trying to keep good spirits and is scared all at the same time, she cries sometimes and says she does not want to leave her children. Please keep her and her family in your prayers.

2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I will keep her in my prayers. I have no suggestion as to a book, but if she is a Christian woman, the bible itself will bring her peace. Maybe a journal to write in, as opposed to something to read? To leave behind for her children? Great, now I'm crying. God Bless her

3. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Quote:I agree. The Bible and a journal would be a wonderful gift. When my grandfather was dying, he wanted to talk about things, but didn't want to upset us. I wish he had been given a journal while he was still at himself to record his thoughts. Oh, but to have something like that now...

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    How sad. [​IMG] I was thinking this very morning of a late friend who died of colon cancer in her mid 40s, leaving behind two teenage children. Her youngest has Cystic Fibrosis and I can't imagine how hard it was for her to leave him... she had always been his #1 caretaker... I'm sure having to leave him was the scariest thing for her. Praise God she was a Christian, so I know she is in heaven waiting for her family and friends to join her, but it's still so sad to think of the time that she has missed with those kids and her husband.

Anyway, your friend will be in my prayers and I'll look online for a good devotional book for her. I gave one to my late MIL when she was sick with cancer... I picked it up in the gift shop at the hospital. That might be a place you could look.

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

At this point, all I would offer is support.

My Mems (Great Grandmother) is a devout Christian, but she's been suffering a bone disease (not cancer) for a good eight years now. I won't go on about it, but it has been a trial from the beginning. Very painful, and only gotten worse. Some days it's so bad that her faith starts to fail. She asks 'Why? After a lifetime of serving, why will God not just let me die? Why must I continue to be punished with this pain"

There is nothing I can say to that. I do not know the answer to the question. All I can do is gently (anything more hurts) hold her as she cries.

If her Bible is not a comfort, I doubt any other book would be. Particularly since now she can hardly see, and not having the control over her hands to hold a book... much less turn a page. Even on days when she has the strength to stay awake for long enough to read.

So... yeah. Support I think is your best bet. Maybe some nice jammies eventually. Words just aren't enough.

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I went to Amazon and found this devotional by Charles Stanley, and this book by David Jeremiah, that was inspired by his own battle with cancer.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  7. Robin'sBrood :

I went to Amazon and found this devotional by Charles Stanley, and this book by David Jeremiah, that was inspired by his own battle with cancer.

I noticed the one By David Jeremiah is also on cassette. I know it sometime helps to have something to listen to if you don't feel like holding the book , so fully agree with Robin's Brood on her recommendations. will put her in my prayer box. marrie [​IMG]

8. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

The bible and a journal like Pineapple Mama suggested. And your presence and support. Some one to be with in prayer. Caring Bridge.org http://www.caringbridge.org/ is a site that may help with the journaling and help keeping friends in touch. A co worker of mine had heart cancer and I was able to keep up with what was going on and able to offer advice on situations that came up.

9. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Thank you !

10. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Quote:Caring Bridge is great! If she's online, she can keep her journal on there. Friends and family can post their support on the message board, etc. Our cousin had pancreatic cancer and used the site. It's wonderful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by