Fellow goat owners...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 4H kids and mom, Jul 10, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    My goat kids seem to have somewhat dry itchy skin. Anything I can do to help this? Would an oatmeal bath made for puppies do wonders to soothe them, or should I let it be? Ok, you probably will want more info, so here goes what I can think of.

They get free choice hay and free range the yard all day for grasses, clover, twigs, leaves, etc. They get roughly 3 cups of DuMor Goat Formula pellets mixed with 1/2 cup of 16% sweet feed (each) in the morning before I let them out. Then they get another 2-3 cups of DuMor pellets in the evening when I pen them back up. They always have fresh water (their waterer has rigged to fill automatically). Their poop is nice firm little bee-bees. Their ears are clean, mouth looks good, breath isn't bad, no fleas or mites or parasites.

Any ideas how I can make them more comfortable? Should I sheer them? (One is an Angora and I always worry she's hot with all that hair).

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    i have heared that you should not shave them inless you are going to make wool stuf out of them cause, there hair is a insulater (sp) for winter and summer,but if its really hot i would shave them and just make sure they have shade to keep them cool,and for the dry scin,they might have lice oir smething i dont really know i give my goats baths to keep them clean.

3. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Songster

May 4, 2007
    NC
    SHEAR THE ANGORA!!!

Do you think it is hot?? well the ANGROA probably thinks it is very hot. They are to be sheared once or twice a year I think. And did you know if you don't it could be thought of animal cruelty. As far as washing use a puppy shamppo I had my goat Daisy she had bugs and I had to wash her in puppy shampoo NOT DOG it is too harsh for her. So if you get a puppy Shampoo that is for Dry skin I think that will be ok.

Rhayden

4. BarbK

BarbK Songster

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Shear the angora!!! It is not to late in the season. I will call the lady that I know who owns angora goats and ask how often it should be done and let you know. I am thinking twice a year though. Once in spring and once in summer but don't quote me.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Songster

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    It's like us wearing mink coats in August, Shear the goat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: