Fellow Horse Hoof Trimmers Unite! Or shoers!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by seminolewind, Aug 12, 2013.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Starting a new thread to discuss hoof trimming and hoof health and shoeing.

I had some awful experience last week trying to help a friend . The owner, manager, farrier, and trainer felt that I don't know what I'm talking about, then jumped to do everything I had suggested to this lady,but I was the bad guy. I moved out of that barn 5 days later. I watched her horse's hooves deteriorate for months and never butted in. Then she asked my advice and I gave it to her. They were blowing her off, plain and simple. You can't just go on for months using a lame excuse like the horse has lousy hooves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The same farrier has done these feet since November 2012.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm not positive, but it looks like the right foot has way too small a shoe on it and the it also has low heel, long toe syndrome.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Picture deleted

[​IMG]

5. onehorse_2000

onehorse_2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    OMG, please do NOT use that picture as a good example, EVER! Even the "Good" foot in that picture is way, WAY to long in the toe and still very, VERY under-run in the heal and the proof is in the rigging of a shoe that they put on that horse to keep it sound.

SeminoleWind, what was your recommendations for that foot that you posted?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    With the disclaimer that we aren't professionals, what would you do for this hoof? I would start by seeing how much toe and flare I could remove.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I agree, but it was the only picture I could find that showed before and afters of an attempt to fix a few of the problems that the horse in question has. If you can find a better sample I will gladly edit my post and replace the picture! [​IMG]

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Deleted the picture!

9. onehorse_2000

onehorse_2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Ugh, I would start with trimming away as much of the bars as I could, as this horse is way over grown there and that is actually a major contributor to the issues. Secondly, yes, remove flares and a very hard roll on the toe, you probably won't be able to take much from the bottom, but the whole foot has slid forward and needs to be encouraged/pulled back. These feet are not going to be an overnight fix and being a barefooter, I would pull the shoes now, because any farrier is going to cry bad feet and needs a ton of money to putty/plaster that foot back together to get the roll on the toe that the horse really needs and shoes back on it. If that horse has the shoes pulled and is put on varying ground that will help build the crumbling wall and help encourage the foot to grow in the proper direction. JMHO.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Disclaimer noted for all posters. Posters are all assumed to be amateurs.

I really had no plan as I was shocked by these hooves-3 days after shod. I asked my professional friends what would help, and printed it out for my friend. I didn't feel experienced enough to give her advice, just ask some farriers for their advice.

There's a lot wrong here. About an inch of heels are rolled under and just shod on top of it, and it was claimed that the horse had no heels.
    The walls won't hold nails
    Too long toe
    grossly underrun heel (he'll be waiting until [email protected] freezes over if he thinks that heel is going to straighten up all by itself)
    Without shoes the horse is 2 legged lame, will not pick up one foot for a few seconds, and both feet are way out in front of her, like a laminitic stance. I had scraped the sole to see if she had some that could be exfoliated (a week ago). The functional or live sole was right under the dead sole. It appeared that the soles had dropped, or there wasn't any wall support left. I'm the one who insisted on pain meds. The flares are so big that I wonder what's really left holding onto the coffin bone.
    Laid over bars.

My first humble thought was to treat this horse as a founder, because she needed all that support. Trim what can be trimmed, back up the toe, take the heels back and she would need a wedge. And dry ground.

I am not connected to this horse in any way. I have never cared for the horse. This was a friend who had started to doubt the excuses she was given. I did have permission to post the pictures.

Casportpony, those are a lot of cool pictures of glue ons. I never knew they had so many.

Any one think of another way to care for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by