1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Female acting like a male to other hen

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by annette'spets, Jun 5, 2016.

1. annette'spets

annette'spets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    vero beach, Fl.
    I adopted two peahens from the Humane Society two weeks ago, they seem to be enjoying their new home(large area behind the barn with bird netting coming down from roof ). Yesterday one laid an egg in their night stall, one hen displayed her tail and began acting like a male. Today she acted aggressive to the other one when they eat, so I made two bowls of food. Is this normal? If they want a male-out of the question because of noise bothering neighbors. Maybe it's breeding time? We are in south Florida.

2. kinsiebrooke

kinsiebrooke Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2015
    This is most likely them finding their pecking order and will stop in s few days.

3. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    Hens will scrap with other hens almost as readily as males bicker with each other to establish a hierarchy. Keep an eye on them just in case it gets out of hand but otherwise just let it be.

4. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Sorry to ask, but are you sure they are both hens?
    Not doubting you! But we have seen people who are unfamiliar with peas thinking a juvenile male is a female...
    We can certainly confirm if you post pictures.

(And we really like pictures anyways!) [​IMG]

5. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    If one is a spalding hen ... they are more aggressive ... dominant !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by