1. There is currently a quarantine in place in the area surrounding and containing the Southern California counties of Los Angeles County and Riverside County for Virulent Newcastle Disease. The quarantine strictly restricts movements of poultry, eggs, supplies and other items that can spread vND. Please do not list items for sale originating from either county without written permission from the CDFA. Please see here for more details

female Ameraucana chicks

Discussion in 'Chicks 1 Day to 8 Weeks Old' started by Lee Nelson, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Lee Nelson

Lee Nelson Songster

Jan 17, 2012
    I have 6 week old female Ameraucana chicks for sale in Prior Lake, Minnesota. Very healthy, vaccinated for coccidiosis and Marek's disease. $20 a piece. ameraucana 1.jpg baby chicks.jpg

starri33 likes this.
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Easter eggers, I think? Are they from a hatchery?

3. Lee Nelson

Lee Nelson Songster

Jan 17, 2012
    I ordered all female Ameraucanas from Murray McMurray hatchery and paid more for them individually as compared to a package deal.

starri33 likes this.
  4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Ah, okay, those are Easter Eggers (most hatcheries mislabel them). I would expect to get about $10 a piece at 6 weeks old, $15 if you're lucky. You could certainly get $20 for "real" Ameraucanas, though.

5. Lee Nelson

Lee Nelson Songster

Jan 17, 2012
    from what I have read most all green egg layers have some Ameraucana in them, and Ameraucana is a mix itself.

Frazzemrat1 and starri33 like this.
  6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Every breed, even in dogs, starts as a mix/mutt lol. However, Ameraucanas are a recognized breed with accepted varieties and a standard (which includes muffs). Easter Eggers are the mixed breeds that have a blue egg layer somewhere in their heritage but can lay any color because of the randomized inheritance of genes, and they may or may not be muffed.

starri33 and Wolfefarmyard like this.
  7. Lee Nelson

Lee Nelson Songster

Jan 17, 2012
  8. Lee Nelson

Lee Nelson Songster

Jan 17, 2012
    Not trying to be argumentative, by the way. Just trying to find out what really IS the standard.

starri33 likes this.
  9. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    Yup, those are definitely EEs not Ameraucanas. Ameraucanas only come in a few accepted colors, that’s not one of them. And Ameraucanas ONLY lay blue eggs not green ect. Most hatcheries don’t sell Ameraucanas only EEs or they’ll mislabel them as Ameraucanas which is very deceiving.

10. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    The image you referenced is NOT an actual Ameraucana. I’m not sure why they used it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: