Female and Male Leghorns?

Quote:
Where did you get them from? If you go look at feathersite, you will see lots of roos and not one with red ears.

Well I suppose you are correct LOL. I tell you, ask 10 people a question and get 10 different answers.
lol.png

The guy who sold them to me said they were leghorns but he supposedly sold me all pullets, in which I quickly learned 9 of 13 chickens were roos.

I did wonder about my roos, as they had buff coloring on the heads and backs... is it possible they were sex-link roos? I've never seen a sex link roo, so maybe that's what I had?

My pullets were definitely leghorns, right down to the white ears and huge floppy combs. And the fact they were laying white eggs.
tongue.png

Hey you know what they say... two people, three opinions.
lol.png
I agree that your pullet is definitely a leghorn. The roo looks like a mix of some kind as it has the dark feathers at the shoulder. They could be sex-link roos is suppose, but it's hard to say from just that one picture.

Quote:
gig.gif
Sorry Leghorns NEVER have red ears if it's a roo or a pullet they are always white.Most often the pullets combs flop but the roo's don't.
If you had red eared roos they were something totally different.The one doesn't look like it has any leghorn features.
Here is one of my young Roo's showing off..nothing wrong with his eye just the way the light hit it.
chicksnroosters021.jpg

I'm guessing the buff and white ones were golden sex link roos- I have no idea about the one I posted a pic of though. He had random black feathers and was white everywhere else?

Either way guess it doesn't matter now- they all became dinner!
lol.png

The photos have been deleted.I am so confused as to the sex of my Leghorns! they are about 3 1/2 months old.

Can you get a photo that shows the wattles? We hatch a lot of Leghorn crosses, and you can't go by comb development. What you can go by is by the development of the wattles. The pullets might start getting comb early, but don't get wattles until much closer to point of lay. Can you post a photo that shows the entire side of the head?

Last edited:
Can you get a photo that shows the wattles? We hatch a lot of Leghorn crosses, and you can't go by comb development. What you can go by is by the development of the wattles. The pullets might start getting comb early, but don't get wattles until much closer to point of lay. Can you post a photo that shows the entire side of the head?
I'm sooo confused!
barnie.gif

can anyone help me? male or females? seems everyday another one is getting bigger waddles....oh yes almost forgot, they are all about 20-21 wks old.

Last edited:
It looks to me like the one with the long tail is a pullet and the one with fluff is a cockerel. Regardless of breed (besides the breeds without tails), hens develop their feathers faster. I think it's a pair.

(Page 1)

Above
Pic s --They look like hens, but I have no experience with the breed!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom