Female attacking other female whilst mating! Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aemzed, Jan 31, 2013.

1. aemzed

aemzed New Egg

Aug 3, 2010
    Blue Mountains, Australia
    Hello there.
    I have a drake who has just started mating with the ladies. When he is mating with one particular female (the only one who is laying) another female (the one he was originally given to me with) starts pecking the genitals of the duck who is being mated with.
    It happened yesterday and I just shrugged it off, today I inspected the ground where it was happening and there was blood on the ground (as well as on the attacking ducks bill). The ducks genitals look damaged, sore, swollen and bloody.

I have separated them and I intend to treat the sore female, but with what? A shallow, warmish bath with salt water to clean it? I cannot find any info on this ever happening.
    I'm assuming it's a dominance thing, as she thinks she is top duck?? The drake and the attacking duck are around 6 months old, the laying, damaged duck is a bit older.

ANY TIPS!

HELLLLLP! I'm freaking out a little.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like you did the right thing, when my drake is mating with one of the ducks his best friend duck will join in but she mostly pecks at their head never saw her go for the other, I'd give her a warm sitz bath and then use something like triple antibiotic nothing with pain reliever in it though and hopefully with a few days rest she'll be good to go. Might have to watch your duck though in case it happens again. Also Prep H is good for relieving swelling. and honey. and Vitamin E [open capsule ans spread on affected area] and [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto Miss Lydia, it's one of those unexpected management challenges. Shew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by