1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Female baby chicks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by specklesmom, Jan 3, 2010.

1. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    Am I correct in assuming that the only way to buy a female chick that is just a few days old is to get one from a feed store that obtained "sexed" chicks from a hatchery? I want one female Barred Rock that is very young. I'm sure chicks from a local breeder would be better, but I would just be hoping for the best as far as male or female. Is that right?

2. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    find a couple of local breeders and ask if they sex day old chicks, some around hear do i will say this you chance of getting just one pullet from and it being sexed correctly is better from a hatchery than local breeders( this has only been my experince i am sure their are breeders out their just as good maybe better) but even a hatchery is not 100% ever time. if you want a high quality bird than a breeder is really the only way to go.

3. specklesmom

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    I don't care about a show bird. I want a healthy female BR chick I can hug.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Do you have other chickens?
    From your sig it sounds like you intend to raise a single chicken as a pet.
    Please don't take this the wrong way but...

I wouldn't do that if I were you. It's just not fair to the bird. They are flock animals. It just isn't right for them to be alone, and they don't do as well.

Besides, you won't be able to replace your lost pet. I think it's impossible to try to replace something that was one of a kind.

5. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    OP's BYC page says that they started with two ducks and two chickens, the ducks flew away to a nearby pond and the chickens were a duo for about two years. One hen was attacked? and died - the BR was the only one left so they gave it extra love for another five years.

That being said, I would also like to recommend that the OP get more than one bird (your two had each other before the first died, it would be hard to expect that the new BR would immediately 'take' to an all human flock) - http://www.mypetchicken.com/ will do orders of 3 sexed females, which is likely to be your best bet.

My condolences for the loss of your Speckles, but I know you will soon be a 'dear mother' to another tiny flock of ladies!

6. specklesmom

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    I understand what you are saying about chickens being "flock" animals. I was reprimanded by a friend for not getting more chicks to replace Whitey who arrived along with Speckles. Whitey was found dead in the pen around noon one day. It must have happened very suddenly--as if she had had a seizure or something--she was stretched out as if she had gone into a spasm and just died. She had had no signs of illness at all. She and Speckles were about a year old at that point. I was very worried about Speckles being an "only chicken', but she seemed to be thrilled not to have Whitey pecking at her and grabbing all the goodies. Whitey had been head hen and didn't have a sweet personality. Speckles was out of the run with either my husband or me at least a couple of hours every day. She was inside the house in my lap, or taking a nap with me, or eating yummies, or sleeping in her treat box (dog carrier) every day. I truly don't think she missed a flock at all and I believe her five years with us as our one and only chicken were happy ones for her. I certainly do understand though that there is no replacing Speckles.

My neighbors would come down to visit Speckles or check on her if we were gone for just a day or so. They fell in love with her too and now have a BR hen named Penny and two Americanas. Penny comes down to visit and I just love holding and petting her. So, I think I would enjoy just having a BR hen again, even knowing she could never have the personality Speckles had. I have considered the 3 chicks from My Pet Chicken, but then we'd have the pecking order thing that Speckles and Whitey had. I may not be able to get chicks at all, so I'm still just dreaming, but I do understand that it is not in a chicken's nature to be a single animal. It also now seems it is not in my nature to be chickenless!!

7. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Well, Barbara doesn't get along AT ALL with my silkies. She pecks their heads (which scares me to death because they can become paralyzed). Barbara is so much older than them, and, without a doubt, at the top of the social order, even above my silkie roo. So, the silkies are in their coop, and Barbara is in the garage, by herself. She gets SOOO much attention that she thinks we're her "flock." She runs around the house after me and talks (errr screams) about food and whatever else a chicken talks about. She loves people and my dogs (except for the doberman, he is kept far away). So we are like her adoptive family.

Of course, Barbara is older, so I don't know how that would work with a younger chick. I think it just depends on the bird. You could start off with three and keep the one(s) you really want or get one from the feed store.

Hopefully someone with more advice/experience will give you some insight.

Glad you are still considering!

Kelsey

8. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    When the chicks get to be teenagers and start 'testing out' their pecking order, you need to step in and BE the 'head bird'! If one is bossy and steals treats and food, pick her up while the others get their fair share. I don't promise that they will share like well-behaved children (ha!) but you shouldn't have one bird terrorizing the others. Same if you had roosters, you want to be the alpha and stop any human aggression before it starts.

But again, like the OP mentioned above, there is no certainty that the new BR would act even remotely like her previous one. Same goes for the other birds though - no way of knowing how they would sort out their pecking order.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If you had more than 2 birds then I bet the pecking order would be a lot less "drastic" [​IMG] We all know that the chicken addiction is a strong one!

In a one vs. one situation there is only one winner and one loser, with several birds they can spread the pecking around a bit more. Sometimes one hen does get singled out, but not always, especially given enough space they can live pretty peacefully.

10. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

My heart so goes out to you dear. I honestly and truly do understand your loss. Really I do! [​IMG] It's encouraging to me to know that you understand that Speckles was surely a one of a kind. But, I equally understand the need to fill the void that losing Speckles has left in your life. I couldn't imagine how I would cope if Gimpy Girl had been my only girl. Having the other 9 girls now is a bit of a consolation for me. At least I still have them.

With that in mind, have you considered how you would feel to loose another single special girl? Could you really go through that again? I know you want to have another special girl. And I'm sure she's out there somewhere.....but how are you going to feel when you loose her too? It's going to be very traumatic all over again, isn't it? Maybe a little flock of three would be a much better idea?

What I'm trying to say here is that, even with three or thirty, there will always be that one special girl. At the peak population of our flock, we had 15, and Gimpy was always number one! Special birds have a way of standing out from the rest of the flock. I think what really creates that special bond is a number of factors.

First and foremost, it has to be within the birds personality to be special. I dunno..is there such a thing as having the "special" gene? [​IMG] It could be. I know that Gimpy was special right from the start.

Literally from day one, she stood out from her 11 other sisters and coop mates. And that was at the tender age of one day old. She was the first to approach me when all of the others cowered in the far end of the brooding cage. As they grew, she was the one who followed me wherever I went. She was really the only one who loved to be picked up and cuddled. I swear that little girl sulked whenever I went into the house and she couldn't follow me. She was certainly almost always there at the door when I came back out. [​IMG]

I think the other key factor that makes for a special bird is time. The time you spend with her. The individualized attention.....I think they call that socialization? Or maybe imprinting? Bonding, perhaps? Whatever you care to call it, it all takes time to develop that bond. The special birds just seem to need less time to develop that trait than the other chickens. And that sets them apart right from the get go!

Specklesmom, you need to go wherever your heart leads you to. If that should be just one little BR hen chick, then that's what you need to do. But, as others have mentioned, these are flocking animals. It would be nice to see you adopt at least two or three. Then if one turns out to be special, you know that she is that way by choice, not because the only source of companionship available to her was "forced" upon her. [​IMG]

Whatever you decide to do, know that I am sending good Karma thoughts your way, that you will find another special girl to fill your heart with love and companionship.

I'll be hoping the same for myself come spring with a new batch of little chicks! Lord knows this group of girls is a good flock, but nobody has the extra special place in my heart at the moment. I love them all, make no mistake. But they are all happy just being chickens and not my special little yard buddy! I know you know what I mean! [​IMG] Good luck and let us know how this quest turns out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by