Female bob atacking other female (HELP)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PortugalBreeder, May 13, 2011.

1. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    One of my female bobs is atacking the other female, I need help to figure if I should get more females or one more male and put a male each with a female. Right now I have 1 male and 2 females.

Waiting for some bob-experienced people's answers.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Welcome To The World Of Junk Yard Dog Quail.... Mean Lil Wenches Arent They? [​IMG]

You'll Have To Seperate The Girls Or It Will Continue Until The Lesser Ranked Hen Is Dead. Allow The Injured To Heal In Solitary Confinement Then You May Add Another Male For Her. Many Times Bobs Do Best In Pairs. Hens Are Normally The Problem Once Fully Mature Rather Than Roos As In The Case Of Many Gamebirds. Keep An Eye On The Agressor She May Turn On Her Mate Too

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I completely agree with the above statement. My bobwhite females will terrorize another females to the point of near death during breeding season. All my bobs live peacefully during the "off" season but come breeding season they must be kept separate. They are all kept in a huge aviary setting and during the breeding season the pairs are kept in extra large dog crate cages. Nobody can hurt the others and then come fall they can all fall back together.

Adding new birds to bobwhite groups is tough to do, although they should be kept in pairs. If you do get the other female a mate, keep the other pair away from him for quite sometime till they get used to him being with the group. I would suggest keeping them all separate till breeding season in over in the fall. [​IMG]

4. PortugalBreeder

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Quote:Thank you both very much, I will follow your advices strictly.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is not mandatory that your other female has to have a mate. I have one lone female that does not have a mate and she does just fine. She gets to have the run of the aviary by herself while the other pairs have to stay in their separate cages this time of year.

6. PortugalBreeder

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:But I prefer to have her breeding, both have been laying for almost a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by