Female bow and coo?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Chickincredible, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Chickincredible

Chickincredible Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    It tends to change...
    hi! I have a ringneck dove who is supposedly a female, but also started to bow and coo. So, I thought maybe "she" could potentially be a "he". Unless females do too?

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    One thing I am quite sure of we have all made mistakes when it comes to sexing pigeons or doves. The only think I am sure of when it comes to sexing pigeons or doves; If it lays an egg it is female. I have had females display as a male before so it can happen.

3. Chickincredible

May 19, 2014
    It tends to change...
    Thank you!

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Yes the females can bow and coo... particularly if they are housed on their own.

I have a couple of pairs of pigeons that acted like male and female.. but both turned out to be females. The females would even mate with each other... and I only found out that they were not true breeding pairs when I found 4 eggs in the nest instead of the normal 2.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chickincredible

May 19, 2014
    It tends to change...
    Thank you for all of your help! She (who I guess I'll call a she due to my knew information) is molting and her feathers are EVERYWHERE! Big feathers. Small feathers. They're really hard to pick up when they're just the down part.

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    The best way to determine the sex of a pigeon is to ask another pigeon.
    In a perfect world the pigeon on the right is usually more iridescent and larger than the ♀ pigeon on the left.

[​IMG]

That being said no matter which method you choose to sex a pigeon mistakes are sometimes made. I usually can tell the gender of a pigeon just by looking at it (but I have been know to make mistakes too.)

On that note:
    If you place your pigeon in the company of a know gender pigeon one can usually tell the gender of the pigeon in question by the reaction taken by the know gender.

(Too many references to gender in tha sentence but I think you can follow).

Check out the link the pigeon bowing and circling is the bird walking is ♀:

7. Chickincredible

May 19, 2014
    It tends to change...
    Thank you again! Sorry it's been taking me so long! I've got myself some good info to use!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by