Female button quail changing color?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Griffin Nest, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    I've had my female Wild Type button quail for a little over 4 years, and recently her feathers have been turning into a very dark/blackish color, where she used to be light brown spotted with darker brown.

For 4 years I've been feeding her Game Bird Layer Crumble, scattered finch/canary seed, oystershell/grit mix, crickets, and mealworms, but this change only happened recently, and she suddenly stopped laying eggs. What is wrong?

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    did her color change after a molt? It is about that time of year and they stop laying then too. Other then that all I can think is she is getting old and might be slowing down in production of her coloring just we do when we get grey hair. I have a male that is over 4 and his colors have not changed but then he still mates like hes still a young stud! lol Is the hen acting fine or is she displaying some thing else? Photo maybe?
    It sounds like she is getting good nutrition so I don't think its that. I would blame it on the weather changing/ season change. Good Luck

3. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    She usually lays eggs until mid October, but I'll try to get a photo of her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by