Female Call Duck Getting Drake Feathering?

Table4Six

Crossing the Road
10 Years
May 22, 2012
I have a silver appleyard call duck hen who is a little over two years old and lately I’ve been noticing changes in her behavior and as she’s been molting her feathers are looking more like a drake’s than a hen’s. She also hasn’t laid an egg in over a year. The change has been the most apparent ever since my Black East Indies drake went missing(likely taken by a predator) and so I’m wondering if this has anything to do with the absence of a male? Her behavior lately has also been like a drake, constantly disciplining the other hens and standing/looking around while everyone else is foraging. I’m also not sure if this has anything to do with it but if given the choice between cracked corn and layer pellets she chooses the corn(which my Jumbo Pekin drake also prefers). I could just be overreacting, but I’d love to hear other people’s opinions about what could’ve caused these changes.
These are pictures of her from April of last year:
8E82AAA1-4501-45AA-AC56-9719DC1C79CE.jpeg
81E93653-BAD6-40CA-9067-86D34BB88F81.jpeg

This is what she looks like now:
83F730C3-82AB-465C-A0F7-692D2C272104.jpeg

7CB5779B-FCEE-4A84-BBAE-40AC94FA6D20.jpeg

F20A25A7-B0A1-494C-B1C1-4FABB47239A7.jpeg

FF802B57-28CB-42FA-AA0E-292765C5CC77.jpeg

I am not an expert, with my chickens without a rooster the oldest hen has taken over that role. She seldom lays an egg. But she acts like she is in charge and runs things actually throws food to the smallest hens to make sure they get something to eat. and stands guard. I think this is common, somebody fills the position in the flock.

I am not an expert, with my chickens without a rooster the oldest hen has taken over that role. She seldom lays an egg. But she acts like she is in charge and runs things actually throws food to the smallest hens to make sure they get something to eat. and stands guard. I think this is common, somebody fills the position in the flock.
Thank you for your reply! I have noticed this behavior among my older hens as well since I don’t have a rooster. And I would assume this behavior can be seen with both ducks and chickens when a male is not present. What’s really puzzling me is how much her coloring and pattern is changing.

I know this is an old post but I wanted to let you know I do have and raise ducks. I have read this it is possible for a hen to actually change into a drake duck. I don't know what the circumstances have to be for the change but I know I have read that.

Back
Top Bottom