Female can't fly after laying

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Pigeonbeast, May 3, 2017.

1. Pigeonbeast

Pigeonbeast Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2017
    Hello, does anyone know why a Female pigeon isn't able to fly for a while after laying her eggs?

2. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    idk. I'm new to pigeons. Is she better today? A pigeon not able to fly would worry me. Is she not ABLE to, or just staying in the nest box not trying to fly? Could she have injured herself? Good Luck[​IMG]

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    It it was her first clutch of eggs she may have strained or pulled muscles while in the process of laying eggs. Did you notice any blood on the outside of the eggs shells?

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  4. Pigeonbeast

Pigeonbeast Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2017

Sorry 4 late response, she is flying now :)! It's just when she lays her eggs, she can't fly for a while :(. Any tips?

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

6. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    What breed? Sounds like how some get nutritional dificiency or hereditary information. Two of strains of rollers the perfect performers would get, and I switch them to layer crumbles month before bred them and when bred I'd give poultry drench vitamin and mineral liquid drops one to three per day that lay and after for week if shes weak. Ultmatly I stopped Breathing them, but they still layed but grew out of after lil bit.

biophiliac likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by