Female Cayuga coughing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fawnvb, Feb 24, 2014.

1. fawnvb

fawnvb Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2012
    I originally posted this under diseases etc and someone told me to repost here instead..

.My female Cayuga Mama Peaches started to cough once in a while about two weeks ago. I thought nothing of it that maybe something was stuck like a piece of food or something. Tonight my husband informed me he was thinking about culling her to put her out of her misery because the cough is pretty bad. There is no discharge that we can see...she eats and drinks with her boys. She has been with her boys the entire time and they are not coughing or anything. Our weather has been very bipolar lately... we had snow 3 weeks ago.. then 70 degree weather.. now its going to get cold again. I don't want her culled... we had to cull her mate because be was attacked by a fox and his skull was fractured. I keep reading about antibiotics... where can I get some? During the day they are outside but as soon as it starts to get dark we bring them into the garage into an inside pen. Mama hates to be outside towards dusk because that was the time of day her mate was attacked. PLEASE help me. I'm trying to put my husband off about culling her.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    most feed stores including TSC carry antibiotics for poultry/farm animals. I have a med chart and the 2 meds recommended for respiratory is Tylan injectable and Tylan powder also Amoxicillin was the other one. Tetracycline for bacterial pneumonia. do you keep buckets of water for your ducks to wash out their nares? she may have something caught very hard to know for sure but if she is eating and drinking then she must not be at deaths door, Ducks are amazing and can over come many illnesses and horrendous attacks so maybe DH would give her more time. In the mean time while your deciding if you want to start an antibiotic give her a gallon of fresh water with 2 tablespoons of ACV in it, ACV has some antibacterial proprieties and can also work as a tonic. I vote to give her more time or even a vet visit? and very sorry about your drake being killed by a fox.

3. fawnvb

Nov 1, 2012
    Thanks for the information. I think I am going to try the Tylan powder as I don't think I can give her shots.. I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to those things. [​IMG] I really am trying to save her as she is a very sweet natured girl . I also read somewhere that she should be kept warm and not stressed. If that's so then I can bring her in the house for a couple of days. The saddest part about Wobbles passing was listening to her cry for him and search the house looking for him. She didn't sleep for a couple of days..

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm sure that was heartbreaking for her and you. Please let us know how she is doing. and Honestly I am not sure I could give a shot either. [​IMG]

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Are you sure there isn't anything obstructing her throat? I am dealing with a wild duck, also named Peaches, who has a weird quack and a cough, too. Just before she started with the coughing, she had fishing line hanging out of her mouth a day or two before. Even though she's practically tame, I could not catch her to pull it out. I'm thinking she inhaled it. But, my Peaches is an extremely happy duck and eats, drinks, and runs around as normal, except she has a cough. Perhaps there's a little dust or particle your Peaches inhaled.

6. fawnvb

Nov 1, 2012
    They have.plenty of water. I don't think she has something stuck ... her cough was just random and now it happens more like it's progressively worse. the only Tylan antibiotic I can find around here is the injectable one. 1 feed store wants 80 dollars for the powder wow. I love mama but I can't pay that for med. The injectable liquid is less than 20. This is a stupid question but do you have to inject it or can it b given to her in water? Do you think the others might be cheaper ?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  7. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    My six week old duckling started coughing also about an hour ago. I have a cold, is it possible I gave him the cough? Or can humans not pass on colds to ducks? Anyways, should I get the tylan powder or a wait a few days to see if it goes away?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know the Amoxicillin can be bought at walmart in the fish department http://www.walmart.com/ip/Durvet-Amoxicillin-Capsule-Fish-Antibiotic-250-Miligram/21436173.

Tetracycline can be bought at most feed stores and is very inexpensive not sure if the injectable Tylan can be used any other way, did you try to find out on line/

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think you can give your duckling a cold Finny, can you put some ACV into his drinking water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by