Female Corturnix Quail fighting

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bubbleberry, Nov 21, 2013.

1. bubbleberry

bubbleberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Hello,

I bought 3 female Corturnix Quails in June and they lived happily together until a couple of months ago.

One of the quails attacked another and seriously injured it. It was bald, covered in blood and I thought it had lost an eye as it was so swollen. I moved the injured quail into a separate hutch and it has made a full recovery. The other two live together without problems.

One of the 2 quails has recently died (not from fighting, it looked perfectly healthy to me so a bit confused why it died) and this was the nice one that didn't attack the one now in it's own hutch.

I now have 2 quails in separate hutches next to each other. They are both in good health and I can hear them calling to each other. I'm thinking of reintroducing them. Now that there's only 2, I'm hoping they'll enjoy each other's company.

Is this a good idea? How should I go about this?

They have a large hutch on ground level, constant supply of food and water with mealworms, apple and crushed oyster shells.

I'm thinking of buying an led light for their hutch as they are now indoors and don't have as much daylight now.

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Yes, it only makes sense. Two females with their own cages. Put them close together for about a week; if you can get their cages a few inches apart that should do. When you finally put them into the same cage, keep an eye on them for an hour or so to watch for agression. You may also want to check on them once or twice throughout the day just to be sure that they aren't acting differently while you were watching them.
    I hope this works out for you.
    James

3. bubbleberry

bubbleberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Thank you, they're opposite eachother now and seem happy enough.

Fingers crossed the aggressive one has calmed down and they can get along. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by