Female Crowing?

Mommy2Blaze

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Dalton, GA
OK so I have a beautiful pair of Silver Duckwing OEGBs. I love them so much that I actually kept the roo and I didn't want a roo at all. But I do love Lil Dude. He is always a little behind and the girls don't think much of his leadership yet lol. That may change as he gets older I suppose. He learned to crow I guess about a week or so ago and it was so funny the first few days and then he got it right. Now he crows about everything. I love it. Yesterday the female was making the most awful noise and I thought she was trying to crow too. Well today I am positive she is trying to copy him. It is the funniest thing ever. She sounds horrible but I have to laugh at her. Is this normal? Do many hens try to crow? The pair are between 16 and 18 weeks old. I forget exactly sorry. Here is a photo of them. I LOVE them so much.
83918_005.jpg

That's a funny situation.
D.gif
I don't know for sure the answer but I've read hens have "crowed" before. Maybe she hasn't recognized your little Dude as the rooster the bird in charge yet?
hu.gif

I have a golden sebright hen who crows. But she does this because she lives with another hen outside my coop, they were not accepted by the other hens. So she decided she'd be the "rooster" of their little two bird flock. There's no mistake she's a hen, she lays eggs. She sit's on the fence in the mornings and crows her heart out and she's gotten pretty good at it too! It's quite hilarious. She also call's the other hen when she finds something good to eat like a rooster would.

Ha that is funny. I have heard of hens crowing and acting like a roo when there is no roo around to "guard" and be the leader of the flock but idk? I had a RIR chicken, idk what to call it exactly...got it as a day old chick, soon I put it in the rooster pen because it looked like a roo except it was a little smaller but had the dark "male color" and had a few flowing tail feathers. Had a decent come n waddle. At around 32 wks, I found an egg in the corner of the roo pen...Yeah weird...I was really confused, so I started separating everyone out. That crazy chicken looked like almost like a roo, but was the size of a hen, crowed like a roo but layed eggs and was great at laying on them. Only laied about 1 egg a month and kinda got mean when you got near its nest so it went to freezer camp but yeah it was weird...

Quote:
That is exactly how she does it. Maybe I should look for eggs? I didn't think she was ready but maybe. I did see the roo do the deed with my black banty though so maybe she is bred. I have been sick so haven't been looking. I will get hubby to look all over in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom