Female Duck health question, need voice of experience please

Antismama

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
I watched my female Khaki pulled out the feathers on her back, between/under her wings, about 4-6 weeks ago. The feathers did not grow back. At the time, her 4 offspring (3 males, 1 female) were coming to maturity so there were 4 males/2 hens. I talked to an aquaintance who has chickens and we thought she might be stressed because of all the males and the growing level of fighting. I found a home for the 3 young males, so the Khaki is left with her original Pekin male "mate", and their daughter. (The feather loss is not from the Pekin, he grabs her neck and/or head.) The young males have been gone a week, and I was hoping her feathers would start to grow back, but yesterday I could see the area was still bare and it looks like she may be keeping it that way. She has great living conditions/water and is eating, sleeping, foraging, etc. just fine. Her egg laying is a little off - she is laying roughly every other day but sometimes 2/day. She does seem to have/had liquid stools for some time. I don't know if she is stressed, sick, or what, or where to start. My first thought is to just coat her back with Vetricyn and see what happens, but I know that process would stress her too. The other ducks were/are in perfect health. Any help from you experienced owners is much appreciated, thank you.

A week really isn't enough time to grow feathers back. I would increase her protein ie bugs mealworms Etc to initiate feathered growth. There may be things that you can't see that is causing her stress. Are you sure that it's her that's pulling out her own feathers or perhaps her daughter? The dynamic of the group has changed since you kept the daughter.

A week really isn't enough time to grow feathers back. I would increase her protein ie bugs mealworms Etc to initiate feathered growth. There may be things that you can't see that is causing her stress. Are you sure that it's her that's pulling out her own feathers or perhaps her daughter? The dynamic of the group has changed since you kept the daughter.
Thanks for the help. I was feeling like I had let it go too long already but you are right, it has only been a week since the dynamic changed and now that you mention it, 'Dad' has been reasserting his power over daughter - pecking her away from being first at food, bath - now that the males have left and daughter in turn has been taking the occasional peck at Mom. Not feathers though - that is all Mom - they are right out my back door so I get a good view of duck daily life. I will up her protein with mealworms, she will love that! Thanks much for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom