Female duck passed away - need opinion

Atchleykl

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2019
My 8 mo old female Rouen duck passed a couple days ago. She laid a massive egg and did not recover and passed a few days later. My male Rouen seems lost now. Should I get him another female or will he get over the loss? I have chicken and turkeys free range, but he is the only duck now. If I should get him a mate, does it matter the breed? I would like to get another adult, but can’t find any Rouens around me, but I found female Muscovy near me. Note I am not breeding the ducks for ducklings, they are pets and I eat the eggs. Thank you in advance for the advise!

Last edited:
:welcome Very sorry for your loss. I would go for the Muscovy my Runners Buffs and Muscovy all live together. One thing you want to keep in mind is Muscovy females can fly really well so don’t bring her home and let her out right off. You also might want to consider clipping one wing.

My 8 mo old female Rouen duck passed a couple days ago. She laid a massive egg and did not recover and passed a few days later. My male Rouen seems lost now. Should I get him another female or will he get over the loss? I have chicken and turkeys free range, but he is the only duck now. If I should get him a mate, does it matter the breed? I would like to get another adult, but can’t find any Rouens around me, but I found female Muscovy near me. Note I am not breeding the ducks for ducklings, they are pets and I eat the eggs. Thank you in advance for the advise!
Of course, get him a friend. Even if it not the same kind of duck He's lost and confused and sad. If you can "Hands-On" I would spend as much time as possible just soft talking and being with Him. Poor boy, I don't care what IT is, LOSS hurts and that gaping hole is hard to fill. I had a Penkin, male and a Muscovite, female. Not raised together and became the best of friends. Sad for you both. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom