Female duck pool etiquette?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Childwanderer, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Childwanderer

Childwanderer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Have any of you had experience with female ducks trying to mount other ducks?
    'Jemima' and 'Lobelia' energetically harass the other ducks almost constantly when they have access to water.
    They are about 5 months old. Wouldn't male Khaki Campbells have curly feathers and greenish heads by now?

2. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    do that have a raspy quack or a loud quack males talk softly. females are loud and have the typical duck quack. males dont

3. Some of my female ducks would act like males -- mostly I saw this when I had no male ducks around. My drakes had colored heads by 5 months I think, but you could always post pictures and see what people think . . . if they are all quacking loudly then you have all females for sure!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    ducks have no manors. [​IMG] boy/boy girl/girl girl/boy boy/girl they just dont care. lol

Khaki Drake

[​IMG]

Khaki duck

[​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    X2. My ducks would mount each other even when a drake was around. They really have no preferences at all.

6. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

My three big girls - 2 mixed breeds, 1 pekin - are mounting each other all day long in the pond. My perfectly healthy drake, who is a good deal smaller than them, just watches. He got in the pond once with them, they all jumped him at once, now he's not keen to do that! My poor little man, I so want to see some little duckings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by