Female duck taking on male attributes?

Erin Smith

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2017
South Africa
So, I've been keeping ducks for around 12 years now and currently only have females, but recently I've noticed that my oldest girl(who's hatched many ducklings and is definitely a female)'s tail feathers are starting to curl like a male's. I've often had only females for up to two or three years without a male and I've never seen a female's tail curl before- is this a normal thing to happen? She still quacks like a female, and since she's completely white there are no other masculine plumage changes to notice. Thanks for any input :)

I can't tell if my ducks are Male or Female but I'm getting three eggs a day and I have three ducks but I'm pretty sure one is a male.

Could be a hormonal thing as they get older hormones wane and she may have more male hormones than female now. I have a female Muscovy who is 9 and has gone through menopause and I have a 5.5 yr old EE hen who now crows.

I can't tell if my ducks are Male or Female but I'm getting three eggs a day and I have three ducks but I'm pretty sure one is a male.

You can tell their gender by their quack- females make a loud, clear "quack" noise and males have lower, hoarse-sounding quacks; males' tailfeathers also curl around springtime, except now my female's tailfeathers are curling, which is what I'm confused about.

Could be a hormonal thing as they get older hormones wane and she may have more male hormones than female now. I have a female Muscovy who is 9 and has gone through menopause and I have a 5.5 yr old EE hen who now crows.

Ah, that makes sense- it's entirely possible that that's the case. Thanks!

I have two drakes, one hasn't received curls on the tail, but has the male voice. The strangest thing is, that my drake treats it just like other ladies if not better :lau

They are almost 14 weeks old, so they are just entering their puberty.

Back
Top Bottom