Female duck tells off male every afternoon?!

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2016
Memphis, TN
I have 6 ducks, 5 hens and 1 drake. I used to have 2 drakes but after they both injured the other drake's favorite girls, I got rid of the meanest one. I got rid of him last February. My slightly better drake is still rough with the girls. As a result, he has been in drake jail most of the spring and summer. During that time, I would let him have supervised time with the girls. The two girls that like him, he ignores unless they throw themselves at him, then he mates with them. He never injures them and is in fact very gentle. The other three he basically rapes and is a jerk too. One of those females is Popcorn, my Welsh Harlequin. She was one of the other drakes best girls. Anyway, I have been trying to let my drake have more time out in the garden with the girls. So, for the last few weeks I have been letting him out in the morning but then locking him back up in the afternoon when I get home from work. As soon as I lock him in, Popcorn lets him have it. For the next hour she walks back and forth quacking loudly at him with her feathers all puffed up. Sometimes she just stops like in the video. Other times, the other girls surround her and force her away. It is the strangest thing I have seen from them. It seems like she is telling him off. Any ideas?

She does not think very much of him. The vocalization she is using is similar to a broody duck, but it is evident how she feels about him.
Oh. Haha guess my hen doesn't like her boyfriend too much after all... she chases him around all day screaming just like that :lau

Back
Top Bottom