Female duck trying to take over the world --- HELP!

CHICKEN BUFF

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
I rescued a pair of young Khaki Campbell females a few weeks ago. I KNOW they are females because they each give me an egg every morning. Two ducks, two duck eggs. They are very bonded to each other, but one is a bit larger. Recently the big duck started "dominating" the smaller one by pseudo-mating with her occasionally.

The ducks live in an ENORMOUS free range yard with trees and grass, a big coop, a kiddie pool, and many, many containers of water---- and 25+ friendly chickens and 2 tolerant roosters. Everyone was getting along famously until today when I saw the larger duck chase down a Speckled Sussex that had the temerity to peck at her ---- then grab her by the neck and "dominate" her repeatedly. The Sussex staggered off, dazed and confused.

Is this a temporary thing or are my chickens in danger? Does this aggressive female duck need a drake, or will I make the situation worse? I've never had ducks before, only chickens, so I'm really over my head here!

If the chicken has had history of attacking her she may just be scared and trying her best to defend herself thats what mine do when a mean hen walks past they freak.

Arr you sure one duck isnt laying two?It is simple to tell male from female.Males do not quack they make a raspy type sound.Females quack.Boys usually have the better looks,and have curls at the ends of their tails.

I just did a search on this, and quoting BYC member Sourland on "Why is my male duck trying to mate with my chickens?" thread, her answer was:
"Drakes tend to be rather hypersexual. He may or may not settle down as he matures. Drakes mating chicken hens can cause problems - drakes have a penis roosters do not. The chicken hens reproductive tract is not made for having objects inserted. Keep him away from your chicken hens."

I would follow Sourland's advise.

Yes, not being argumentative, but another poster said her female duck lays 2 eggs ... so maybe she has a drake? And, thought this was important information to pass along if she does have a drake.

I know it's possible for a bird to lay two eggs in a day once in a while ---- but not every day, and not within a half hour of each other. Plus, while both initially laid in the same scooped out hole in the dust-bathing area, last week the dominant duck started laying her egg in a nestbox in the coop. The other still lays hers in the same hole outside---she has yet to explore the coop. I'm up at 5ish in the morning, and I'm getting both those eggs while they're still warm.

There are no curls on the tails of either ducks and both ducks quack a lot.

I know it's possible for a bird to lay two eggs in a day once in a while ---- but not every day, and not within a half hour of each other. Plus, while both initially laid in the same scooped out hole in the dust-bathing area, last week the dominant duck started laying her egg in a nestbox in the coop. The other still lays hers in the same hole outside---she has yet to explore the coop. I'm up at 5ish in the morning, and I'm getting both those eggs while they're still warm.

There are no curls on the tails of either ducks and both ducks quack a lot. 

Then I guess you have two hens. I guess the one hen is being territorial around the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom