Female Ducks Fighting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TracyZ, Oct 11, 2014.

1. TracyZ

TracyZ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

I have a group of 7, 8week old ducks. I'm trying to figure out if they are fighting or playing. They bite each others tails and today I noticed it looked like they were trying to dunk one duck in the pool. I have one duck (Violet) that seems to be picked on the most, she was the runt that wasn't healthy when I first got them and I spent more time with her nursing her back to health. All 6 ducks will be in the pool and it looks like they won't let her in with them, when I put her in the pool with the other ducks, they pick on her and then the other 6 will get out and leave poor little Violet in the pool by herself. Violet also seems to spend more time by herself and the other 6 always seem to hang out together. Is there anything I can do to help violet? I feel really bad if her sisters really are picking on her, she has always been a little slower than the others but isn't the smallest of the group anymore.

Thanks,
    Tracy

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Duck social structure is unfathomable to me. Sometimes the ducks will seem to pick on or ignore a member, from what I have read here.

Something else I have seen is that by changing up a few things folks have been able to reset the dynamic. You might want to split the group into two - four on one side of a temporary fence, three on the other. It may help them rethink how to get along.

I also would not put her in the pool with the others - I would let that be - it could be riskier for her in the pool.

3. dotporter

dotporter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2014
    Michigan
    I would completely agree with Amiga on resetting the dynamic. Right now they have the flock mentality going. If you put violet with one other duck, then she isn't outnumbered and stands a chance of establishing her own place. Plus the other duck is either going to get along with her, or be a very lonely duck. Once she's established her position, you can introduce the birds back into Violets flock one at a time. If all goes well, the first duck will become her ally against any antagonists and will help her to hold her place in the flock. It doesn't hurt to give Violet and her companion extra treats (Violet, by association, then becomes associated with good living). Hopefully they'll all be back together in no time with Violet properly accepted into the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by