Female ducks playing the dominant role

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ScoobyRoo, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I had asked this question a while back and I was hoping for an answer but have not got one yet. I hope now is a good time. I have one duck (runner mix?) out of 4 that will mount just one other duck (pekin) and no other. First question was can ducks be monogamous? Second question, if the mounting duck could be a 'she' will she still 'make contact' with the duck she is on top of like a drake? Or will just the male make the contact? I ask this because all the duck eggs that we have cracked opened are not fertile. This has been going on for a couple of months. That is why we are not sure if he is a she or the other way around. [​IMG] They are all approx. 6 mos. old. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

2. tjcschwar

tjcschwar Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    I have 4 females, and they mount each other all of the time. One in particular likes to play that dominant role.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

My females take turns mounting each other.

4. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Thanks for the replies but that is not what I'm asking. I know the female will mount if dominant BUT will they still make contact "down there" (Like the rooster does with the hen) Not sure how else to word it. That is what I want to know. [​IMG]

5. rainplace

I don't think they have the equipment. I did notice yesterday that one of my females did the victory dance as if she were a male that just successfully did "it" but I don't think they really can. Of course I'm no expert.

6. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    That is what I'm wondering about. Even though the female does not have "the equipment" (good way to put it;)) this duck is making contact as if it were a male. But still no fertile eggs. I wonder if he really is a 'he' he may be sterile?[​IMG]

7. rainplace

does it quack?

8. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:nope, not that I have heard compared to the other ducks. Another reason to believe he is a 'he'. If so, then why are the eggs not fertile??

9. rainplace

how old is the duck? Does it have a tail curl?

10. rainplace

I see you said 6 months old. I'm no expert on this as I haven't even had an egg yet out of mine, but I think that just because he can do the deed (if in fact it is a male) doesn't mean he is fertile yet, he's still young. In general mallard derived ducks are not monogamous, though they can have favorites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by