Female ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MotherToMoose, Mar 3, 2017.

1. MotherToMoose

MotherToMoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2016
    My inside duck just laid her first egg. I'm honestly not sure what to do now lol like she's out running around so I'm not sure if she's going to want to keep trying to nest it when she goes back in her nester. My vet said to put a fake egg in there so she think she's nesting something to keep her from laying another one

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

She's going to lay more whether she has one egg or not. I'm not sure what breed she is but especially if she's a production breed she's just going to keep laying. It's not fertile if you don't have a drake so just take it and eat it :)

3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    X2! Congratulations!

4. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    So is Moose a girl then? (Or is this a different duck lol)
    I just remember from a thread a long while back - I think it was about diapers, where I saw a picture of Moose. She's a Runner, right?
    I agree with all the other advice given. We've found that duck eggs taste really good in baked goods!

5. MotherToMoose

Oct 19, 2016
    Absolutely a girl! Yes, fawn runner.[​IMG]

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    She's adorable! And there's gonna be lots more eggs where the first one came from. Enjoy them! They are especially good for baking.

7. MotherToMoose

Oct 19, 2016
    So far she's two eggs in two days... is this common? And if so, is it year around?

8. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    Yes, that is perfectly normal. From the day my ducks laid their first eggs, I got two nice, grey eggs every day until they passed.
    As for year-round... My ducks laid through the winter, but I've heard of many ducks who haven't... I think it depends on the breed/light exposure, but am not entirely sure.

9. MotherToMoose

Oct 19, 2016
    What did you do with the eggs? I do not live on a farm or even around farms lol moose is sticky an inside house duck who thinks she's a dog. When you eat them they don't taste different or weird...

10. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    I don't live on a farm or around farms either! Our ducks weren't inside, but they were strictly pets... The eggs were just a nice bonus!
    We ate them. We didn't even change our eating habits much. You can try them scrambled, fried, boiled, etc. They are like chicken eggs! They also do very well in baking. We found that we liked them in baking and boiled, and that was about it (Except me, because I'm the weirdo who hates boiled eggs [​IMG]). We used em to make French toast, waffle/pancake batter, and things of that nature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by