Female Emu no longer lays eggs but male is broody! Help

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by kperki, Oct 25, 2014.

1. kperki

kperki Chillin' With My Peeps

My friend has a male and female emu. The female is no longer laying eggs and the male has found some object he is sitting on and not coming off. He thought he was sick and then figured it out when he saw what he was sitting on. The object was removed but he is still wanting to stay sitting there. I do not know anything about Emus and this has never happened to him and he is worried about him. Is there anything that can be done to stop his broodiness?
    Thanks

2. Ravennest

Ravennest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    Could he be part ostrich ?

3. kperki

I am not sure he looks like an Emu. Would that make a difference?
    Thanks

4. Ravennest

Ravennest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    ...Male ostriches set on nest not the mama..... so you might want to look that up but dada does the setting and they are highly aggressive and protective at the job too......even to their mates....has he built a nest? Any deep dark Emerald green large [​IMG]

eggs?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Male Emus incubate eggs - just as with ostriches as noted above. Not sure how one would go about breaking a broody emu, though.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  6. kperki

Ok Thanks! My friend decided to purchase 4 fertilized eggs from the local Emu farm for him! I am so excited! Thanks!

7. briefvisit

briefvisit Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2013
    Hey, Kperki.

The male emu -- the one that incubates the eggs -- has an evolutionary 'trigger mechanism.' He wants to hatch a clutch. And it's apparent that in 'pet emu environments,' the birds get confused.

So, this male emu isn't 'sick.' He's just doin' his evolutionary thang. Let him sit. It's the time of his life. (We have observed a wild rothschildi through an entire seven weeks of sitting. They do it hard: wind and rain and no food.)

Leave him sit 'til he figures it out.

SE

8. kperki

Thanks makes sense!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by