Female goose with enlarged backside and other problems

gooseluv54

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
My 10 year old goose, Momo, has been sick for a few months now. Her backside has gotten quite large in the past couple months and it's hard for her to move around the yard. She developed a sore on the bottom part where it touches the ground but it has scabbed and partially healed since. She doesn't move around much because it's so difficult so I carry her across the yard and put her into the pool daily. She eats and drinks a healthy amount. About 2 inches around her cloaca is bald. Where her tail feather meets her back there is a small tumor type mound and the feathers don't grow on it, it's about the size of the pad of my thumb. She's my little baby and it would mean the world to me if anyone knows what's wrong with her and what I can do to help her

I am sorry your goose is not doing well. I do not know where you live, but I assume you have exhausted all local options for an avian vet?

I am sorry your goose is not doing well. I do not know where you live, but I assume you have exhausted all local options for an avian vet?

Yes, the only vet I could talk to specializes in dogs and only knows a little bit about birds

Have you googled vets in your nearest sizable city? What about university teaching hospitals?

Have you googled vets in your nearest sizable city? What about university teaching hospitals?

There's really no business in avian veterinary medicine nearby. I only know two other people with poultry pets nearby. Any bird vets are further away and Momo hates car rides

It sounds like she could have ascites, fluid accumulation in the body cavities. Can be caused by a few different things, cancers or other tumors, disease of major organs such as liver/kidney, problems with the heart and/or circulatory system and others. In general anything that causes ascites is not good.

If she is a pet I'd probably make the effort to get her to an avian vet and find out what's going on with her in case there is a chance it's something else and to find out if anything can be done. That way you know what you are dealing with and what is in her best interests.

O
It sounds like she could have ascites, fluid accumulation in the body cavities.  Can be caused by a few different things, cancers or other tumors, disease of major organs such as liver/kidney, problems with the heart and/or circulatory system and others.  In general anything that causes ascites is not good. 

If she is a pet I'd probably make the effort to get her to an avian vet and find out what's going on with her in case there is a chance it's something else and to find out if anything can be done.  That way you know what you are dealing with and what is in her best interests.  
[/quote
Ok thank you sooo much. She did have an upper respiratory infection or something like it before her backside started enlarging and we had her on two different antibiotics and it came back after being cured so we did the antibiotics for a longer time and it worked. She is starting to leak fluid, probably water, out of her beak whenever she points it down and I can slightly hear it when she breathes but it doesn't happen all the time. Thank you for your help!

It sounds like she could have ascites, fluid accumulation in the body cavities.  Can be caused by a few different things, cancers or other tumors, disease of major organs such as liver/kidney, problems with the heart and/or circulatory system and others.  In general anything that causes ascites is not good. 

If she is a pet I'd probably make the effort to get her to an avian vet and find out what's going on with her in case there is a chance it's something else and to find out if anything can be done.  That way you know what you are dealing with and what is in her best interests.  

Omg so I just did my research and she does show all the symptoms of ascites. You don't understand how grateful I am that you told me that. Thank you sooo much!!!! Momo means the world to me and I'm sooooo grateful that you took the time to tell me about the ascites. Thank you!!! :)

Omg so I just did my research and she does show all the symptoms of ascites. You don't understand how grateful I am that you told me that. Thank you sooo much!!!! Momo means the world to me and I'm sooooo grateful that you took the time to tell me about the ascites. Thank you!!!
smile.png

Your very welcome, though I wish it was something that had potential for a better outcome. If that is what it turns out to be an avian vet can drain off some of the fluid which makes it easier for them to breath and makes them vastly more comfortable. It does not cure the underlying cause of course but it may buy some time. Sometimes antibiotic's also help if the fluid becomes infected, but again, knowing what's in there and what's causing the fluid buildup is a big help. Good luck with your bird.

Back
Top Bottom