Female hurt/limping, improving over couple days. Is my plan sound?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Zach5Kline, May 21, 2019.

1. Zach5Kline

Zach5Kline In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2019
    Hi guys, think my female sprained something while jumping off the deck (it's about a foot high). Either that or the drake was too rough with her and somehow injured her back, hip, or leg. She was laying about 6 inches from the deck when I found her with the drake, so that's where my assumption comes from. The drake is quite rough with her, you know how they are...

She couldn't walk at all at first and had to drag herself around. Fast forward a couple days and she's using her leg a bit more, and slowly seems to be showing improvement with how much she walks/hobbles around.

What I've done so far is: checked her foot, it isn't bumble. Her leg doesn't appear to be broken but it is definitely one leg which is causing the issue. I've separated the drake and hen, they can still see each other though, just separated by chicken wire in their pen area, as they tend to get emotional when not in sight of one another. Every so often I'll put her in the pool, she definitely uses her hurt leg while swimming around. Besides that, she's got access to a good diet and is more or less kept isolated and to rest while she heals.

Is there anything else I can do at this point, and just allow her to recuperate over time? The drake tries to "do his thing" if I don't watch them, so that's why I have the two separated. Thanks for any advice or thoughts! - Zach

starri33 likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Maybe a torn tendon or fractured pelvis?

Zach5Kline likes this.
  3. Zach5Kline

Mar 22, 2019
    Are there any signs that I should look for, for either of those?

chickens really likes this.
  4. chickens really

Well yes. Swelling, heat in the leg and using wings to move around.

Zach5Kline likes this.
  5. Zach5Kline

Mar 22, 2019
    She moves around, in fact walking/hobbling around the yard (stopping from time to time to lay down). She is able to stand and preen as well. No swelling in the leg that I've seen/felt when comparing the healthy leg and hurt leg...

Miss Lydia and chickens really like this.
  6. chickens really

Then a sprain and will need time to heal. Probably 4 weeks or more..

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if you are doing the right things with her. I would keep her and the drake separated until later in the season even if she appears to be 100 %

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Zach5Kline

Mar 22, 2019
    Thank you so much for the responses, I'll keep her on this same regiment. They will not be happy to be separated, but they'll get over it.

Not sure what it is, but having ducks has been so dramatic these past few months:
    1) Lost my drake (found him, he wandered off .5 mile away)
    2) Drake hurt his foot, limped around, healed with Epsom salt / Neosporin
    3) Rogue Mallards perching on rooftop, waiting for an open window to attack female
    4) Female hurts her leg

For the first year and a half, it was such a simple life, being a duck owner! But, it's worth it, they are the best pets.

9. chickens really

I also have Wild Mallard Drakes coming her and after my Hens. My Call Drake goes bonkers..

10. Zach5Kline

Mar 22, 2019
    I just stand outside and wait til the wild Mallards get bored and fly off, or will put my ducks in the pen. Do you do anything to keep the wild ones away?

chickens really likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: