Female Indian runner ducks keep escaping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kathrynthekat, Feb 16, 2017.

1. kathrynthekat

kathrynthekat New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    Hi, I have 4 Indian runners, 2 male and 2 female. They have just started laying eggs last week and this week for some reason the femal Ducks keep escaping from our garden. We have no idea how they are managing to get out for a start and also have no idea why they are doing this other than it may have something to do with them starting to lay eggs? They are always in the hedge on the other side of the fence or in the field behind our cottage. Anyone have any ideas why they would be doing this? Thanks Kathryn
    :)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They maybe looking for a better place to lay or they may just know they can get out and want to explore. I'd work in finding how they are getting out before they meet a pred head on.

@kathrynthekat Welcome to BYC

3. kathrynthekat

kathrynthekat New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    That's what I thought @misslydia, we do have big garden for them to roam about and generally they lay in their wee house but also have lots of other places they can and have laid also, we have checked the garden everyday for places they could be getting out and can't find anywhere unless they can squeeze themselves under the very small gap in the fence. Perhaps will just have to spend a day outside watching them [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    As thin and wiry as they are probably wouldn't take much for them to squeeze through. I keep a close eye on our fencing too.

5. Sarkchick

Sarkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas

Just a thought. How tall is your fence. One of my Runner females can clear a 6 foot fence and stay airborne for about 30 feet. She has only done this a few times. Like yours, she was getting out and could not figure out how. So I spent the day out and watched. And that was also when she first started laying. Hope you figure it out.

Linda

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Netting over their pen? Runner ducks can fly. May need to clip wings.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I had forgotten all about that one of my Runners went over the fence but I figured it was because she was up on the hill and got lift.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by