Female injured

jbstonefly

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 6, 2013

I noticed this injury today. It looks like it could be a few days old. She has given no indication she is injured. Unfortunately I when I checked her again it looks worse. The flys and yellow jackets have taken notice and it looks like something has lain eggs in it. She is eating and drinking and otherwise acting normal. We think the male may have accidentally done this while trying to mate with her. There is no smell it just looks awful. What can we do at this point? Clean it and dress it?

That looks very typical of mating injury caused by a large or clumsy male. Clean the wound to make sure that it does not become infested with maggots. Apply an antibiotic ointment, separate her from the tom, and make sure that flies and yellow jackets are kept away from the wound. It may take time, but such wounds generally resolve quite well.

Our 9 yr. old Slate was lacerated during mating (first time ever - probably due to the stage of molt - few feathers). We use fluid preps in spray bottles to perform irrigation/cleaning/disinfection. As she had been dirt bathing :rolleyes: the wound was a mess. Started with 3:1 peroxide/water solution and tweezers. Once debris removed we irrigated with 1:1 betadine/water solution and debrided dead tissue on wound margins with surgical scissors (any really sharp - boiled scissors will do). We did not apply antibiotic ointment owing to propensity to pick up every sort of dirt/dander; instead, we sprayed the entire area (wound and feathers with Durvet Scarlet Oil Wound Dressing (better than blu-kote - imo). http://www.durvet.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=53:scarlet-oil-with-sprayer - insects hate the stuff. She was kept separated from rest of turks, and resprayed with the wound dressing/daily for nearly three weeks with very good results. After first cleaning & `dressing' (7/3/14): 8/2/14: Can't really tell from your photo, but greenish cast/any smell and you should consider Penicillin: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-a-penicillin-shot-to-a-chicken#post_4280176 Good luck!

Last edited:
We cleaned it out and put some stuff we got at the farm store on it. She seems fine thought we noticed a small hole on the other side of her after cleaning the big wound. It doesn't smell, there was no green. I think the yellow in the picture is fat. I was really surprised that she just stood there and let us clean and treat her. Thank you for the info. I at least feel more optimistic about her outcome.

Ouch... the poor thing!!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom