Female mallard help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rbates, Jul 16, 2016.

1. rbates

rbates New Egg

Jul 16, 2016
    I have 5 mallard ducks 3 male and 2 female. One of my females appears to be sick. As i walked in their pin she was laying down and would not move as i approched her. Her legs are srraight behind her and she is breathing very heavy. I brought her inside because she was very warm when i picked her up. I took a syringe and gave her 2 cc of water. I am unsure what is going on with her. She did start lating eggs about a week ago but had not layed in 2 days. Not sure if that may have anything to do with it or if its some sort of heat stroke. Please advise my 8 year old son loves her. She is the sweetest one out of the bunch. They are about 6 months old now.. help do not want to loose her.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Any possibility that the drakes have been overbreeding and may have injured her? 3 drakes to 2 ducks is a recipe for trouble.

3. burdboy

burdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I would cool her down and move the other female and her inside so she has company and keep track of what she eats and drinks. I'll pray for her. I had a baby mallard do this and I brought him and his sister inside and cooled the both down they did fine.

4. rbates

rbates New Egg

Jul 16, 2016
    I brought her inside and put her in the bath to cool her down she drank plenty of water and still did not move her legs in front of her. I put her back in the pin with the rest of them because i did not want to keep them seperated for to long. She is able to move her feet she just cant stand up. I am at a loss of what to do. The two females were giving me a egg every day until today. The other female is fine. Would it be best to keep them in the house for the night? Will the males go crazy when i put them back in tomorrow? I dont want them re injuring her if that is what happened!

5. burdboy

burdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    She might be egg bound

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by