Female Mallard wants babies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Whispering_Raven, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Whispering_Raven

Whispering_Raven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    I have a lone female duck and she seems to really want babies. She has been raised with chickens and no mate, unless you include our very large and proud Barred Rock Roo. She has watched two hens raise little ones and Ziggy (duck) just sits and sits on her eggs. I don't want to raise a lot of ducks, but should I purchase eggs for her to hatch? Thanks for your input.

-Tracy

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Umm...how do you "know" she wants babies?

Us humans can not predict "wants" of animals (normally). Perhaps consider getting her a drake?

If you(she) want babies, then let her hatch them, if not, then collect the eggs as soon as they are laid and refrigerate.

Questions?

3. Whispering_Raven

Whispering_Raven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    I can't say that I "KNOW" for a fact she wants babies. I'm no chicken or duck whisperer....But she act differently that her normal self when she's around other chicks. She mothers them until the Hen sees her and runs her off and then she spins in circles around her nest squawking.She refuses to come off her nest for days on end. If you try to collect the eggs she bites. So, my question again is....Should I get some fertilized eggs for her to hatch. I do not want a drake.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally would get her a drake or some fertile hatching eggs.

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

If you want to raise some ducklings then go ahead and get her some eggs to hatch out! Im sure she will be very happy.

6. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Why not let her hatch out some chicken eggs? She'll never know the differece. Just keep her away from the water, cause the chicks will follow her into a pond.....

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Vote fertile eggs!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Basically, it's your choice. Only you know whether or not you have the facilities to raise and keep more ducks. Understand that if you give her fertile eggs most likely some of the ducklings will be male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by